Do you broadcast? or would you want to?

Default Do you broadcast? or would you want to?

Like some of the DJs here ive seen on threads im coming back into 'the game' after a couple of years sabbatical.

Ive come to realise that it's all about the streaming and broadcasting these days. With assistance from our support forum literecords.com we have managed to 'just about' get our live streams working on shoutcast stream, facebook live & recording simultaneously to a high standard. It's like a whole new world now isnt it! We use Pioneer setup: CDJ/DJM running through SL3 soundcard via timecode to Serato, yes im one of them annoying Apple users haha. We use Adobe Audition for recording, BUTT for streaming to our shoutcast station on literecords.com and OBS to broadcast to Facebook Live.

What do you think about this 'almost required' method of promotion these days? Do you broadcast anywhere, how do you setup for the best quality? Would you like to 'have a go' at it?

Quote Originally Posted by 3initial View Post
    Like some of the DJs here ive seen on threads im coming back into 'the game' after a couple of years sabbatical.

Ive come to realise that it's all about the streaming and broadcasting these days. With assistance from our support forum literecords.com we have managed to 'just about' get our live streams working on shoutcast stream, facebook live & recording simultaneously to a high standard. It's like a whole new world now isnt it! We use Pioneer setup: CDJ/DJM running through SL3 soundcard via timecode to Serato, yes im one of them annoying Apple users haha. We use Adobe Audition for recording, BUTT for streaming to our shoutcast station on literecords.com and OBS to broadcast to Facebook Live.

What do you think about this 'almost required' method of promotion these days? Do you broadcast anywhere, how do you setup for the best quality? Would you like to 'have a go' at it?
    I would disagree that it's 'all about streaming' these days. You just can't compare it with playing to an enthusiastic crowd in a dark and sweaty club. And, honestly, I get a bit sick of my Facebook news feed littered with people's grotty bedrooms and terrible green screen attempts when I join a new music group. I much prefer to listen to pre-recorded regular podcasts (DCR, DSH, Transitions, etc). Maybe I'm just showing my age (38), but I really think this "anyone can be a broadcaster" mentality is just terrible, especially when it's all cookie-cutter playlists.

That said, I don't mind stuff that's a little different, like the semi-regular live sessions that James Orvis does.

A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

We are starting our channel back up this week (previously we were Obnoxious Distortion, then had a show on EDMerica, before finishing on Urban Audio in 2012).

In our case, we are not doing so for self promotion. We are doing so for the promotion of DNB as a whole within the US.

Simply deejaying on a livestream is great for bringing music to an audience you may otherwise not reach, but should not be used strictly for promotion. The best tool is still you as a person. Go out there. Meet people. Shake hands. Hand out cards, stickers, t-shirts, etcetera.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I wouldn't mind it. I really enjoyed my weekly show on faderwave back when that was a thing, even though nobody was listening except other people on DJF.

I have mixed feelings about video. I get why it's popular and enjoy video more than audio only myself. I'm just not particualrly comfortable in front of a camera for some reason. I guess I'm nervous it'll catch me picking my nose or scratching my junk or something, but mostly it's because I think I'm kind of boring to watch (hopefully less so to listen to).

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    I wouldn't mind it. I really enjoyed my weekly show on faderwave back when that was a thing, even though nobody was listening except other people on DJF.

I have mixed feelings about video. I get why it's popular and enjoy video more than audio only myself. I'm just not particualrly comfortable in front of a camera for some reason. I guess I'm nervous it'll catch me picking my nose or scratching my junk or something, but mostly it's because I think I'm kind of boring to watch (hopefully less so to listen to).
    I mean, picking boogers and scratching your junk could add to the entertainment value. :-p
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Of course i didnt mean it quite as amateur as it sounded, im 30 myself and started the 'proper way' (not my terminology). I just feel it's the 'hip' 'new' thing to promote yourself.

I agree with the video thing, im not overly keen on recording myself and right now (with OBS) i dont have a webcam feed but i use slideshows for advertising etc.

https://www.facebook.com/literecords...6775336072609/

We were gonna go with shoutcast (it's what we used previously), but renting server space just isn't a justified cost anymore. Maybe if we had a 24 hour stream or something similar. Youtube Live is free. It's literally the only reason we are doing video.

Well, i could help there if you were interested?

I run Lite Records and we have a 24/7 shoutcast stream but right now no DJ's to play. We are a production site and producers dont like to stream . It could be something we could both offer to members so everyone can benefit.