which is more important, gain or mid control?

Default which is more important, gain or mid control?

I want to buy a dj controller. There are two controllers I chose, And I can only can afford one. So I need to choose. One has gain control but is missing the mid control, and the other one has mid control but doesn't have gain control. which is more important?

id go for the one that doesnt have gain control. im assuming you will be using Serato which will have internal gain control which is different from the gain knobs anyways

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
    id go for the one that doesnt have gain control. im assuming you will be using Serato which will have internal gain control which is different from the gain knobs anyways
    Depends what way you mix. If you just just the x-fader, you can use the channel faders for gain control. If you use the channel faders IMHO gain is far more important than eq bands.

Auto Gain has never, ever, ever, ever worked for me regardless of the software.

What two controllers ? Have you looked at the S/H market

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Auto Gain has never, ever, ever, ever worked for me regardless of the software.
    +1. I'd go for the one with gain controls.

If what you’re looking at doesn’t have both, then you’re probably looking at a toy.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Which software/hardware combo is that? You can map High+Mid to a single knob in most of DJ software. And keep your Gain control which is more important if you don't wish to rely on the auto gain feature.

Gain unless you're talking about an oldschool rotary.

But for a modern controller, if it's missing either, it's probably a toy. What specific hardware are you looking at?

I would not buy a controller that doesnt at least have gain, high, mid, low. Anything with less, I wouldn't gig with. Maybe for something to play with in bed or in the car, but thats about it.

On a side not, my Pioneer DDJ Wego does not have a gain knob, but it literally sits under the seat in my car for working on mixes or doing set prep while on the go.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6