question about Traktor and Ableton routing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default question about Traktor and Ableton routing

is there anything in the works to make this officially work? is bentosans work-around stable? will this interfere with other midi messages sent from an apc?

bummmmpp =D

i notice that the article detailing how to route traktor into ableton is dates 2008. have there been any updates that make this easier now?
    Last edited by BestLegsinHD; 12-11-2009 at 04:49 AM.

Tech Guru

Hey man, I'm pasting a response of mine to a similar question on the NI forums. The process is still the same, but really, just follow the directions, it's not too hard. I can tell you from experience, the setup is very stable, flexible, and sounds great (at least on my system) Here ya go:

Here's what I do. Everyone will want to experiment with their own set-up though. First, get a virtual audio routing program. I'm on mac, so Soundflower or Jack OSX work, both are free. Soundflower is easier to use, but I like Jack for it's flexibility. Others have mentioned similar programs for windows. So set that up, make sure you have your soundcard selected as the output device, and that the sampling rate and bit depth are the same as you have selected in Traktor. In my experience, the sampling rate might need to be dropped a bit in all apps to run glitch free. 44.1 should be flawless for most people. Set the routing program to run 2 virtual channels for every deck you want to route, and another pair if you use Traktor's preview function.

Go into Traktor, while the routing app is running, and switch your mixer mode to external, and pick the routing app as your audio device. Assign the decks to whichever channels you want, in stereo pairs. Set your master output in Traktor to something between -8 to -2db, depending on how hard you drive your tracks. Don't clip it. You may want to enable the autolimiter just to be safe. Close Traktor and reopen it, to save and refresh your settings.

Open up Ableton, set the input as the routing app, and the output as your audio interface. MAKE SURE ableton is set to the same sample rate and bit depth as the other two programs. Enable all the channels you'll be using, both inputs and outputs.

Now go back to the routing app and assign Traktor's output to Ableton, and Ableton's output to the soundcard (or "system"). In the individual Ableton channels, set each input to it's respective virtual channel pair, and set the output to Master. Select your controller as a MIDI source (and click the "remote" box). MIDI learn your channel faders, monitor cue buttons and whatever else you need on your "virtual" mixer.

Now you're set. without doing anything else, your sound is benefiting from the 32bit summing in Ableton. But to really start making it bang, you can start experimenting with various plug ins and FX in the deck channels and master channel. This may take some work, but you'll get a personalized sound all your own. For some reference, I use a third party audio enhancer in each deck channel, and some very slight compression via Ableton's compressor on the master channel, along with a final limiter for some transient peaks. You might also get use out the saturator, eq units, and multiband dynamics. Don't overdo it, and don't over-compress! Most modern EDM is compressed so much already, you can deaden the sound if you're too heavy handed. You can get a killer sound with minimal settings and fx units. If you get all your various volume controls set right, you should never even have to look at Ableton while djing in Traktor.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Can I do the above with the akai edition of ableton I got with me apc?
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

i believe you are limited to 2 stereo outs and 1 stereo in with that version, so you'd have to work around that....
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

pc or mac ?

i have a mac...if you are asking me =D.

hi bentosan

when you do this are the audio inputs into ableton seen by ableton as external ins?

I'm guessing that would limit how many channels you could do this with on the apc version

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    i believe you are limited to 2 stereo outs and 1 stereo in with that version, so you'd have to work around that....
    So i could route one deck? nice, lol

Think I may need to upgrade to the full version after crimbo!
    MBPro - UC-33e - Audio 10 - TSP2 - Xone 22 - 1210's - Mackie MR5's

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    hi bentosan

when you do this are the audio inputs into ableton seen by ableton as external ins?

I'm guessing that would limit how many channels you could do this with on the apc version
    You are correct.
    MacBook 2.4GHz, 6GB, Traktor Pro, Ableton Live, Bomes MT, Audio Kontrol 1, Vestax VCI-100 SE Custom, M-Audio Axiom 25, Akai APC40, NI Maschine, 2x Midi Fighters (c/o DJ TechTools - Thanks!!)

Mixcloud DJ Sets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast