Dell XPS 13
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS 13

Tech Mentor

Default Dell XPS 13

So folks....

I've been a mac user for years & years, but as laptop replacement time approaches, i'm considering a change.

I'm not sure i can justify the cost of a new Macbook Pro at the moment, so has anybody got any experience with the Dell XPS 13?

I'm not scared off by the USB-C argument on either platform (that's something we'll all have to live with going forward), but being used to not having to worry too much about fine tuning a mac for DJing (turn off network, bluetooth & time machine, then off we go), is setting up a PC for DJing more trouble than it's worth?

Anybody else made the switch?
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by thisisian View Post
    So folks....

I've been a mac user for years & years, but as laptop replacement time approaches, i'm considering a change.

I'm not sure i can justify the cost of a new Macbook Pro at the moment, so has anybody got any experience with the Dell XPS 13?

I'm not scared off by the USB-C argument on either platform (that's something we'll all have to live with going forward), but being used to not having to worry too much about fine tuning a mac for DJing (turn off network, bluetooth & time machine, then off we go), is setting up a PC for DJing more trouble than it's worth?

Anybody else made the switch?
    If price is the issue ... a refurb MacBook pro 13 with comparable specs is $100 cheaper than the 13' XPS (actually better specs in many areas inc. Screen & Graphics)

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel i5 with Retina Display
    13.3-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2560-by-1600 resolution at 227 pixels per inch

8GB of 1866MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
    256GB PCIe-based flash storage1
    720p FaceTime HD Camera

Intel Iris Graphics 6100
    I use Windows 10 via bootcamp for the occasional gaming and honestly its not really not a bad OS for gaming, browsing and officey stuff, it runs very snappy ..

But for Audio software of any kind just feels .... "laggy" after using a Mac for so long, and the trackpads just don't feel as good in Windows.

I genuinely wanted Windows to blow me away so I might pick up, and be happy with a half decent windows laptop for playing with .. but alas looks like I'm married to Mac for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-05-2018 at 05:46 PM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

With Windows PC machines you will always have to optimize the OS... I use HP laptop with two OS installed Win7 optimized for DJing and Win10 for internet browsing.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    With Windows PC machines you will always have to optimize the OS... I use HP laptop with two OS installed Win7 optimized for DJing and Win10 for internet browsing.
    Why? I run an intel 6700hq with 8gb of ram and an intel 512gb SSD with windows 8.1 pro without any issues whatsoever.

It's an HP ZBook
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Why? I run an intel 6700hq with 8gb of ram and an intel 512gb SSD with windows 8.1 pro without any issues whatsoever.

It's an HP ZBook
    Seconded. I use a Dell Latitude (refurbed with an SSD) and an unoptimized Win7 install. Runs Traktor no problem and the only failure I've had was when I forgot to plug it in and the battery ran out 15 mins before the end of the night.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Yeah - this was a huge surprise to me. I'd ALWAYS optimised my machines for audio, but when I optimised my Win10 machine, it made no noticeable difference, and was more hassle than it was worth.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post

It's an HP ZBook
    I got tired of disabling powersaver, WiFi and Ethernet each time I want to use Traktor.

The XPS 13 is a very nice machine, however I wouldn't like to DJ on a 13 inch screen. I recently got a Lenovo Yoga 920 which has a bit bigger screen that I am enjoying a lot. You may also want to consider the Dell XPS 15.
    Developer of Mixxx free DJ software
    Hear my mixes

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Being View Post
    The XPS 13 is a very nice machine, however I wouldn't like to DJ on a 13 inch screen.
    Ha! a 13" screen will be luxury after coming from an 11" Macbook air!

Cheers everybody. Some interesting comments, & I think i may go for it
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    I got tired of disabling powersaver, WiFi and Ethernet each time I want to use Traktor.
    Right click on your battery icon and switch power profiles. Otherwise, Ive never had to disable my NIC or Wifi. Especially since I utilize wifi for TouchOSC and use the Ethernet for Desktop Presenter in Wirecast for our broadcast every Sunday.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast