dumb DJ mixers

Thread: dumb DJ mixers

Default dumb DJ mixers

I've noticed a trend in DJ mixers where a few years ago there were many complex digital DJ mixers which seemed to be pushing the envelope as far as capabilities are concerned.

With mixers such as the Denon X1700, Allen & Heath Xone:db4 and db2, Korg Zero, and to a lesser extent models from Vestax, Ecler, and even the Pioneer DJM-2000, we were seeing features like multiple and extensive effects engines, flexible input matrices, and versatile EQ which offerred a lot of creative options.

Now the current generation of mixers from these companies seem somewhat stripped down and don't offer many of these features.

I have a Xone:db2 myself and love it, but even Allen & Heath has gone this way with the new PX5 and I have heard that it is because people found the db4 to be too complex.

Perhaps many clubs wouldn't install these kinds of mixers because DJ's unfamiliar with the complexities of them would be uncomfortable with using them. Sure the top clubs can have a variety of mixers to set-up but perhaps that's too complicated for when multiple DJ's have to use the same gear in one night, and for smaller clubs with only a limited amount of gear on hand.

So maybe the companies making the mixers decided to all chase the industry standard 900 Nexuses and dumb down their mixers? Is this a case of the lowest common denominator winning out?

I don't know what happened but those of us with, let's say, an acquired taste in mixers seem to have suffered. I have no pressing reason to get a new mixer right now, but I fear for the future of our gear.

Does anyone else see a problem with the way this is headed?

It boils down to Pioneer still being the industry standard. The consumer tends to gravitate toward purchasing what they will come across in a club/event environment. You are correct, there has been a huge dumbing down in the recent 5 years, but if you look at that dumbing down... it has been to create mixers in the likeness of the djm900 NXS.

Mixers like the Korg Zero, DB4, DDM4000, D.4, etcetera will be the last of their kind for a while.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Yup, pretty much so. Best example would be Denon. They are trying to attack Pioneer so they simplified their flagship model X1700, added the familiar FX use layout (ch filters that also use non-bpm based fx and a separate bpm fx section) and cut out the expensive hardware that a typical Pioneer user wouldn't miss (LED rings around EQ knobs, expensive smooth 60mm Alps-K linefaders, separate power supply for digital and analog stages, discreet amp for phono inputs and headphones). They are basically becoming another Pioneer, especially with famous DJs/producers that are paid to switch their riders.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

I'd argue that the model1 is the modern analogue equivalent.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Now that the DB4 is scratch certified, imma be on the hunt for a new one.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Agree with this ! my Xone DB4 is a complex mixer, some friends dj who play with my Xone don't even know how to use the effect ! not very ergonomic btw
    (La Chinerie Festival X L'Appart Music )
    Pioneer CDJ900Nexus - Denon SC5000 PRIME - Allen & Heath Xone DB4 - Allen & Heath Xone K1 - Stanton ST150

https://soundcloud.com/nagra-house

takes a little effort, once you know it it compares to nothing, so much power in 1 mixer...love it and never gonna sell it ..
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud