configuring my live performance setup -looking for ideas, tips + techniques
    Tech Mentor

Default configuring my live performance setup -looking for ideas, tips + techniques

I am getting back looking into more detail on setting up/ configuring my home setup to do DJ+live sets

Equipment list:
    Allen&Heath Xone DB4
    Allen&Heath Xone K2 (pair connected to DB4)
    Technics 1200 mk2 (Pair controlling traktor decks with timecode vinyl)
    Ableton Push 2
    Launch Control XL (using Isotonik Launch Control XXL script and Channel Strip addon https://isotonikstudios.com/ )
    iPad 2 (Lemur / TouchOSC)
    AKAI Advance 49 (live keyboard play)

current configuration:
    so I currently use 2 traktor decks with the technics and the A&H DB4 (basic DJ setup)

Ableton push 2 is to trigger samples (my idents/ name drops / seasonal samples eg halloween) and be a drum sequencer.
    I also play live with tracks using my AKAI Advance 49.

The Launch Control XL is kinda the mixer controls for using ableton live, which the output is to my DB4 on the 2 remaining channels.

I have mapped the channel strip addon for each channel/track in ableton live)
    3 band EQ https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-vos-slickeq/
    tap down once with send select on the launch control xl, and mapped are 3 sends for each ableton live channel
    tap down once again with send select on the launch control xl and it's then an eq8, set for a high pass and low pass.

these are subject to change if something else is needed. ie. put a parametric style eq on instead of the basic 3 band DJ style

I route the kick to it's own track and the rest of the drums (clap/snare/cymbals) using the channel next to it (kick audio sourced from here)
    Push 2 controls the drum rack to sequence it.

on my list of what I know to do is setting one layer on the pair of A&H k2 to individually control the drum slots. volume for each, and effects etc.
    ideas and thoughts welcomed for setting something up for the effects on the drums using the K2 pair

I also want to get to sequencing some basic melodic elements, such as they do with techno (eg hawtin with his modular).
    looking at 2 options, but not getting very far, hardware that has a simple and quick sequencer, or a max for live sequencer loaded in Ableton Live.
    I don't want to add anything like a beatstep pro, as I traded in my beatstep pro and launchpad pro for the Push 2

The soundcard I have is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 so plenty of inputs and outputs to accommodate external instruments.

I have noticed the techno guys triggering a one shot sample and then manipulating the effect(s) on it.
    any good sample packs for this?

my current thinking is to set up (drums have their own controls on the k2 pair) the iPad running either Lemur or TouchOSC to control the effects on the main return tracks in Ableton Live, which the send controls on the Launch Control XL allow me to control what and how much each part gets effected.

Discussion on all this is greatly appreciated.

Tech Mentor

This video of richie hawtin has inspired me to get my live setup fully working.

I currently use only some of what I want to do.

Cool sounding set-up, but...

That all sounds like a LOT of work to get some drum loops/samples/hits out of Live...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Not a lot of work.
    Most of it is set and forget, unless a quick tweak is needed
    It allows me to bring parts in and out as needed.

The launch control XL is effectively what hawtin uses the second model 1 mixer for.

Quote Originally Posted by djrickdawson View Post
    This video of richie hawtin has inspired me to get my live setup fully working.

I currently use only some of what I want to do.
    Fantastic insight. An interesting setup of modular synths being controlled by Ableton and push? That must have taken a very long time to map everything. It must sound incredible in person though.