Carl Cox Interview - On Digital Djing - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I think I still have my original ReAct CD of his....FACT i think it was called.

there was a part 2 as well!!

That was the goodshit.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

About that interview:

Collee Chappell, of audio visual giant Pioneer, predicts digital DJing is set for another revolution.
    "We are about to drop the bomb on the digital realm," Chappell said.
    "The future will be simplified. We think portable media is the future - i-Phone, i-Pod, i-Touch - whatever you're carting media on.
    "I don't think users want to carry a laptop, dongle and black box for much longer."
    He says, rightly, Pioneer is a market leader in digital DJing.
    Its CD-J players, DJ mix and effects units are benchmark.
    Typical marketriod "He's great and, you know, we're great too" speak. *puke*

Pioneer's CDJ's are IMO solidly part of the old school. Just because you're pulling data off an iPOD doesn't make it digital DJing. Where's the controllerism? Where's the interfaces and working with sound streams, looping, cuepoints, cue juggling etcetera when it's being streamed off a USB stick? It sounds like they're gunning to be the default installed hardware in clubs by pulling audio off many digital sources, but that utterly missed the point.

They seem to be thinking of straight "play your records" DJing. These people from Pioneer need to be reeducated - the meta-information (cues, drop points, loops) and how we interact with the play-transport mechanism is more important than your shitty hardware. You don't give me embedded cuepoints in my tracks and I'm not interested.
    Last edited by Fatlimey; 12-14-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatlimey View Post
    About that interview:

Typical marketriod "He's great and, you know, we're great too" speak. *puke*

Pioneer's CDJ's are IMO solidly part of the old school. Just because you're pulling data off an iPOD doesn't make it digital DJing. Where's the controllerism? Where's the interfaces and working with sound streams, looping, cuepoints, cue juggling etcetera when it's being streamed off a USB stick? It sounds like they're gunning to be the default installed hardware in clubs by pulling audio off many digital sources, but that utterly missed the point.

They seem to be thinking of straight "play your records" DJing. These people from Pioneer need to be reeducated - the meta-information (cues, drop points, loops) and how we interact with the play-transport mechanism is more important than your shitty hardware. You don't give me embedded cuepoints in my tracks and I'm not interested.
    Boooya!

If forced....i would still rather use a CDJ over any other....but agreed!

100%
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Down/3E4T,

Thanks for the link; great interview. I've enjoyed Carl's style of mixing, always have. I wish he would come to NYC, would like to see him mix live.

Thanks again...
    MacBook Pro 2.33GHZ 2G-Ram
    VCI-100SE (Original Batch 1-100) "March 2008"
    Traktor Pro 1.2.1
    Audio Kontrol 1

Tech Mentor

He also credits Traktor's sound card with giving digital files a warmer, analog feel.
    Callin' bs on this one.

He says, rightly, Pioneer is a market leader in digital DJing.
    Is his idea of digital djing the same as mine, or is this way off? Serato is clearly the market leader in digital djing.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Hugh View Post
    Down/3E4T,

Thanks for the link; great interview. I've enjoyed Carl's style of mixing, always have. I wish he would come to NYC, would like to see him mix live.

Thanks again...
    Ahh man M.Hugh you missed out I took those pictures just last month. Carl was at Cielo NY.

Tekki- Thanks for the Kudos Man!

Down/3E4T,

I wish you wouldn't have told me that.........GREAT!!!

Later..
    MacBook Pro 2.33GHZ 2G-Ram
    VCI-100SE (Original Batch 1-100) "March 2008"
    Traktor Pro 1.2.1
    Audio Kontrol 1

Quote Originally Posted by M.Hugh View Post
    Down/3E4T,

I wish you wouldn't have told me that.........GREAT!!!

Later..

Ohh man sorry dude...I will try and remember to let you know next time he in the neighbor hood :P

Tech Guru

I dunno... I dont know if I can say using 3 cdjs synced with traktor can really be called "completely embracing the digital age" actually, I don't understand why he didnt just go to DVS (cause he could call that completely digital, given his current definition). Its cool he is using a maschine, but if any of you guys saw that video with DJ rafik (2 time-coded techs and maschine with traktor) I'm sure you would say that's probably a hell of a lot more digital than just using cdj's...

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    I dunno... I dont know if I can say using 3 cdjs synced with traktor can really be called "completely embracing the digital age" actually, I don't understand why he didnt just go to DVS (cause he could call that completely digital, given his current definition). Its cool he is using a maschine, but if any of you guys saw that video with DJ rafik (2 time-coded techs and maschine with traktor) I'm sure you would say that's probably a hell of a lot more digital than just using cdj's...

Sine I understand your point but before we get into to deep and the thread turns fan boy vs the facts rant let me just say this. I don't know how much you know about Carl Cox's career path and I not going insult your intelligence. Let me just say this Carl Cox has been spinning since the 80s. There were no CDJs during that time Tracktor did not exist nor did the current flavor of midi control. I believe he started when he was 15yrs old when he first got into the scene. Carl career took off sometime during the introduction of house and acid house in the 80s. He was one of if not the first to spin with 3 turntables. The had a name for him I forget what it was. Anyway fast forward a few years time goes by cdj come into the scene and he moved from the technics( dont get it twisted he can still mess it up on the wheels of Steel) to the mixing with CDJs and was spinning on 3 cdjs when a lot of dj were frowning upon the use of cds as a medium that could compete with mixing on the holy grail of mixing hardware the technic 1200s. Fast forward some more years tracktor comes out and agian he adapted and started using tracktor. Technology is advancing again as we fight for the exceptance of midi controllers as a respectable evolution of DJ hardware Here a Dj who now almost 50yrs old excepting the use of the technology change again and incorporating the fader fox (midi controller) and now the use of machine in his DJ setup.

You have to respect that at some level. This partially why he is respected by so many. So no he is not DJ rafik and no he has not "embraced" the technology in the same manner but he has no one to impress he made a name for himself already he has his own style and following. He plays with passion. His is a Pioneer.

When DJ rafnik has 25 years technology evolution adaptation under his belt I am sure we will be talking about him the same way.

Oh and by the way that night I did not see him use one cd or open a cd case so yes he was operating fully digital.

DOWN|3E4T OUT
    Last edited by DOWN|3E4T; 12-15-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast