Carl Cox Interview - On Digital Djing - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Tech Guru

I mean, I'm not insulting him as a dj, I think he is fucking amazing, and hell, successfully mixing with 3 decks fluidly and skillfully, regardless of platform is pretty damn awesome, I'm just saying, It kind of... i dunno, bends the definition of digital dj, and it just seems a bit dated? I'm sure he could probably mix better than me even if he was using 2 tape decks and I had all forms of technology available to me.

I guess it was the ableton thing that kinda tweaked me (press a button and be like, there it is, which, isn't really the truth as Im sure many people can attest to. Monika cue here).

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    I mean, I'm not insulting him as a dj, I think he is fucking amazing, and hell, successfully mixing with 3 decks fluidly and skillfully, regardless of platform is pretty damn awesome, I'm just saying, It kind of... i dunno, bends the definition of digital dj, and it just seems a bit dated? I'm sure he could probably mix better than me even if he was using 2 tape decks and I had all forms of technology available to me.

I guess it was the ableton thing that kinda tweaked me (press a button and be like, there it is, which, isn't really the truth as Im sure many people can attest to. Monika cue here).

Good point Sine143...

Perhaps you are right sine. Maybe the definition of "digtal Dj" needs to be redefined or better defined as to what it means to be a digital DJ. Perhaps just like how we have genre to define categorys of musical styles. I guess that why we now have a "controllerism" as a descriptor that delineates the the tools and technique used in DJ performance.

I mean what going to happen when we move beyond "Digital term"? What will happen next when we when we transcend beyond the software and hardware interface?

but I digress?

What is everyone thoughts on the tern "Digital DJ"? what does it mean to you and what differences define the varying categories that define it?

for example I don't really define Deadmau5 as DJ He really more of a producer and performance artist wrapped in a pretty marketing package. But there are people that would differ on my opinion.

Hmm food for thought I guess.

DOWN|3E4T out

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DOWN|3E4T View Post
    Good point Sine143...

for example I don't really define Deadmau5 as DJ He really more of a producer and performance artist wrapped in a pretty marketing package. But there are people that would differ on my opinion.

DOWN|3E4T out
    Yeah... I see where you are coming from there (god knows deadmau5 doesn't want to be seen as a dj)

I dunno, as someone who is just getting into the whole Digital DJ'ing world, the lack of a real definition has kind of been a setback? granted, its not the most important thing in the world (it truly is just a definition). I just feel that the term dj will very shortly (if not already) fail to describe what many of us (hopefully myself included) will be doing in the near future. I mean, even though turntableists call themselves DJ's, i feel that term fails to describe the full breadth and of what they do as performers, and musicians (yes, even though we play other peoples songs, being a good dj does entail being a rudimentary form of musician).

*EDIT*

Sorry that I kinda am steering this offtopic guys! I really do appreciate cox and his innovations over the last 20 or so years though!

Quote Originally Posted by sine143 View Post
    Yeah... I see where you are coming from there (god knows deadmau5 doesn't want to be seen as a dj)

I feel that term fails to describe the full breadth and of what they do as performers, and musicians (yes, even though we play other peoples songs, being a good dj does entail being a rudimentary form of musician).

*EDIT*

Sorry that I kinda am steering this offtopic guys! I really do appreciate cox and his innovations over the last 20 or so years though!
    I to be honest I really don't care about the description to much. Just let what you do define you. Let Gen po worry about how to define what you do.Hey if they are having a proble m doing that you must be doing something right lol.

Ohh and yes Deadmau5 made it very clear what he thinks about "DJs" in General and got plenty of flack for that. I don't think anyone will make the mistake of calling him a DJagain nor will he make a crast comment like that again I am sure.

Still kinda a slap in the face though that he made the top ten of this years "Dj 100" lol

Dont get me wrong either I like the Mau5 sound but I getting a bit tired of his shtick ya know IF I here The Spell remixed one more time I gonna puke lol. I mean damn he gotto be tired of his own stuff too. He needs some more new material. He might not of had that problem if he were a "DJ" lol

no need in apologizing for going off topic you brought up some interesting thought. that is what part of this forums about anyway.

DOWN|3E4T out

Like DOWN|3E4T said, Cox has been around forever, using 3 turntables. He spun old disco stuff, then into breaks in the 90s... The man embraces technology and is willing to try whatever new is out there. To be someone who is in the limelight with this type of thing and not knocking the technology but always willing to try whats new is embracing it...

Pick up his new DVD Carl Cox 24/7... it depicts his whole life inside and out of DJing... plus there is a few cameo of yours truly in there... =)

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Pick up his new DVD Carl Cox 24/7... it depicts his whole life inside and out of DJing... plus there is a few cameo of yours truly in there... =)
    I found a spot to order the DVD, thanks for the info, I did not know of this coming out. I cant wait to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Seems like a must now.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Is his midi mapping available for the maschine?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123