Laptop Size???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop Size???

Default Laptop Size???

Hi all,

I have been playing house music for a while now. and i am deciding to move to using a laptop for djing instead of my cds!

I will be purchasing a mac book pro, traktor pro and probably a xone 1d (still unsure on what midi controller to use).

what i really wanted to know is what size laptop most of you use or what the best size is.

i kind of ruled out the 17" as it being too big and a pain to carry about. but i am torn between the 13" and 15".

thanks,

Dean

Tech Guru

the thing is that unfortunately traktor pro hides a lot of stuff depending on the resolution. with a 17" you can see all the FX, the recording and the tempo units, with a 15" you only see 2 of the 4 units. i do not remember what drops out on a 13". at the very least you will have trouble fitting 4 decks, the cross fader (though that can probably be left out) and the track browser.

i dream of traktor one day letting us split out stuff like the track browser and preference into separate windows. then we could just hook up a 10" usb monitor for those, but alas this will probably not happen until TP 2.x which afaik has never been mentioned in public.
    Traktor Pro 2.5.0, Mixxx 1.9.1, Massive, Ableton Live 8
    MBP 15" 8GB RAM OS 10.7.4, Audio Kontrol 1, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD-25 II
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Yeah "movable, unlockable objects" has been a feature request since Traktor 3 unfortunately i havent seen the feature get any love beyond the forum.
    I dont see it happening.

Get a 15" its the best or both worlds and the lesser of 2 evils at the same time.

Tech Guru

Yeah .. its really unfortunate. Seems like NI really shot themselves in their own foot. Apparently they are using a homegrown toolkit for development, which is severely limited. How they could have let themselves be stuck on this when they created Traktor Pro is beyond me, but they seem to be clinging on to monolithic proprietary software development philosophy that is really bogging down their otherwise brilliant ideas and execution.
    DJTT VCI-100SE Arcade, Akai LDP8, M-Audio Pro Keystation 88, Novation Launchpad, iTM DJ
    ifnotwhynot.me | soundcloud.com | fairtilizer.com | digitaldj planet | digitaldj music

I dunno about that really. The idea of moving objects is like many of the more (not the right word here) radical ideas for the software, they get limited requests for them and despite those request being good ones the masses dont actually really care about them.

I guess that the average DJ (not producer or DJ/producer etc) wants all the software there all the time so they dont throw there weight behind such a feature.

Its like the whole Cover Art feature. People went on and on about this and as far as i can see the only really good use anyone has made for it is using colour codes for Harmonic Mixing. Cover Art has been a giant waste of time for me.

There a guy over at the forum right now complaining that 28 FX is not enough and he wants like 10 more reverbs and 10 more delays etc. He is totally forgetting that its DJ software not production software. And yes, add more stuff its applicable but there is nothing wrong with pointing out that it IS dj software. Its not being close minded or closed to advancements its simply recognising what the software is for and what the majority use it for.

Tech Guru

I think I have yet to meet a DJ that didn't complain about the preference window (especially for MIDI mapping) in Traktor Pro. Same goes for the lack of general movability and fixed size of UI elements. Anyways the point is, I have a hard time believing that given the many many open source and affordable proprietary toolkits that provide all of this natively, that it actually makes business sense for them to do their own thing. And no .. there is no excuse for their preference window .. none. Its simply a technical limitation they have burdened themselves with and as a result their customers. And having a 13" laptop and not being able to fill the little screen-real-estate I have because things are fixed size and unmoveable is also a hard sell as a "feature".

But I digress .. sorry ..
    I do agree that a 15" is probably the best choice.

I completely agree about the Preference window. Its ridiculous.

i have a 13" and I love it, keep in that I still use Traktor 3 so I dont have anyproblem with the screen size. I have traktor pro and I really dont have too much of a problem, the only thing is that my playlist are kinda smaller that T3.

Just my dos pesos!
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Tech Mentor

I would say the 17" is just generally too big, and the screen on the 13" is just too small for anything apart from checking your email.

Also remember that its harder to find a good bag for a 17" and all the rest of you gigging gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast