tips for mixing minimal and maybe some recommendations - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

I'm not a fan of lances response.

Here are some tips. Minimal is a dj's genre imo. You have to work hard at creating a journey. With that said you are in complete control. This is an ideal genre for controllerism. With the way the songs are produced you can create new songs by layering four tracks at once. Apply fx at will during break downs. Loop is your best friend. Also don't be afraid to throw in other genres to spice up your set. Search for me on soundcloud I have a four deck minimal mix on there. Trial and error, lots of it. Hope that helps.
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Tech Wizard

I mix techno, minimal and tech house,

I dont use any controlerism techniques but i try to use Tpro's 4 decks the most often i can. I use a lot of loops, delays and gaters, beatmashers, mulholland drive and white noises. Most of the time it looks like im mixing ''A to B'' but with loops on C and D.. but it really depends of how it sounds, sometimes it's better to loop A and let go D... i think you get the point.

A bit like Animus said, i believe a great minimal set is not entirely minimal, as i like to put in loops of other genres (deep for example) in the set. I also find easier to play with the intensity of the set while mixing minimal by layering tracks and adding these effects i mentioned before. Fun buildups can be made quite easely with minimal.

Well, this is how i do it!

I don't know if it's the kind of answer you were looking for, but if it is, get on your decks and start to experiment. Use effects, loops, get creative,know your music, look at how other djs are doing it and try to come up with your own style, what suits you best.

This is very basically how i do it, it's not right, it's not wrong but it's the way i like.

Hope that's been a help

Give my Undo mix a listen to, thats how a minimal mix should sound. Its quite a few months old now but holds its own. A not so minimal start but which quickly moves onto twisting your brain using effects and loops. For this mix I used subtlety with the effects. Check out the track listing and maybe compare with the originals.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I dont care if I'm blowing my own trumpet, I like the way it sounds.
    Last edited by Pfister; 12-28-2009 at 11:33 PM.

ah! thanks for the mix post! this is definitely helpful

I don't look at genres in different ways but I do mix them differently,my first Tech House mix did include a couple of minimal tunes in there, go take a listen it's on my soundcloud which is linked here, i used a few effects filter and looping, i use all those when I do Deep House as well but differently as I find Deep House needs to be mixed slightly different due to the feeling of the music, personal opinion of course

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12