Rekordbox with Z2 mixer thru mode
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Rekordbox with Z2 mixer thru mode

Hi, firstly thanks for your time.

I am looking at getting into the DVS world and would like to use Rekordbox software, but not a pioneer interface as I've heard the phono preamps are bad.

So thats led my onto NI, and mainly the Z2 mixer. As I need to change my old mixer anyway.

My question, is it possible to map the Z2 to be able to play standard vinyl, at a touch of a button (thru mode), like you can with its intended software, traktor. As I will be using normal vinyl around 50% of the time and don't want it to be a hassle.

Cheers!

Djm 450?

Tech Convert

Is the DJM 450 of a higher phono pre amp quality than the interface 2?

Don't know, but I don't think Z2 is better. And will it work with Rekordbox? I'd wait for Phase DVS and add it to a mixer of choice with good vinyl sound.

Tech Convert

Thanks, that does look pretty cool. But looks like it still plugs into a DVS interface.

It used to be so easy, play vinyl, buy a mixer. I think my favourite mixer for sound was the Redsound infader.
    Last edited by wilkerpa; 09-22-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerpa View Post
    But looks like it still plugs into a DVS interface.
    Yes, but it saves your needles and switching from/to regular vinyl is simple(r) with any mixer.
    Choices widen if you don't use rekordbox. Traktor now works with any dvs capable soundcard/mixer.
    Also you can try a/b switch per tt to toggle between DVS and normal vinyl, avoiding thru mode, but it's a lot of cables.

Tech Convert

I was on the understanding that rekordbox also works with any DVS interface/mixer.

So basically, I need to find out which offers the best in vinyl pre-amps. NI A6, Pioneer DJM450, Rane SL2?

Anyone own any of these, who could give some feedback please?
    Last edited by wilkerpa; 09-24-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Go for the DJM450, I haven't heard anything bad about the phono preamps in it (costs much more than the 250mk2 so that is to be expected).

Or if you wanna save some money look (and you're a win user) go for a secondhand Denon X600, almost the same thing (2ch mixer with fx and internal interface). But with that you will have to use 64bit generic ASIO4ALL drivers. Unlike DJM450 it will give you booth output, x fader and line fader 12point curve adjustment and almost a full featured 3rd channel for line input.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Convert

Hi, thanks for your reply and information. Yep, I'm still researching to see if there is any issue with the DJM450 vinyl sound. I had a XDJ-RX and the phono pre-amp on that was pretty poor.

The Denon X600 certainly looks interesting. I have a few questions though, excuse my ignorance.
    Would I need to midi map the X600 or will it work with Rekordbox from the get go?
    You say if I'm a win user, what about if I'm a Mac user?

Quote Originally Posted by wilkerpa View Post
    The Denon X600 certainly looks interesting. I have a few questions though, excuse my ignorance.
    Would I need to midi map the X600 or will it work with Rekordbox from the get go?
    You say if I'm a win user, what about if I'm a Mac user?
    You don't need to midi map it, it doesn't have dedicated midi buttons like the Z2 that would otherwise be unusable. I mean, you could repurpose mic controls as software FX knobs or similar if you don't have a dedicated midi controller for transport control.

If you're a mac user I think you're out of luck since Denon didn't patch the firmware after Sierra OS was released so audio interface is not recognized under newer OS (you can thank Apple for making sure "core audio compliant" meaning literally nothing).
    Win user can always use generic 64bit ASIO4ALL drivers, mac users are not so lucky.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast