Xone DX vs. VCI 100 SE - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
    Yes. I am nearly certain the DX has a true analog mixer and is not totally HID with its 20 channel soundcard, and I know it has line and phono inputs for TTs and CDJs. It should work with traktor scratch pro since it has the same or a very similar soundcard as the 4D.
    It's not analog, but you'll still be able to hook up CD players and such to it.

The big thing you'd miss out on with the DX over VCI-100 is the touch sensitive jog wheels, and that's probably not a huge issue for you. I've got a Xone 3, and I couldn't be happier with it (unless it were a 4. goddamn those are pretty).
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

Some questions may have been answered here:

http://www.mixarchitekt.com/xonedx.html

The Xone DX looks great, love my Xone 4D.

However... as a guy who came up on belt drive TT's with no pitch control, then 1200's, then Final Scratch on 1200's.... I'm leaving the 1200's at home after 25 years.

I'm always interested in how new DJ's want to learn how to "mix" more traditionally than start and stick to controllers. With Technics announcing that they will no longer make 1200's after Feb 2010, the writing looks to be on the wall. Unless you are looking to battle, beat juggle, and perform... if i was starting out today I would stick to and master the new technology.

Sure... it's great to wipe the smirks off of idiots faces to leave the laptop and rock some 12's, but that's just satisfying my ego..... the crowd does not care... and the future is in controllers IMO.

We used belt drive TT's because we had NO CHOICE.... it sucked. Things have evolved....

Technology is moving at such a rapid pace... the gear you buy this year will be outdated in 2. All decks now have a different feel..... most 1200's back in the day felt the same. What you learn on will not be at a gig unless you bring your own equipment... plus, I think track choice, creativity, and how you work the crowd are more important than if you are a purist or not....

just a thought... good luck with your choice... plus, I have NEVER been disappointed with A & H gear... all of my analogue gear is A & H. I currently have a studio console, 2 Xones plus a 4D... they make the best kit IMO if you can part with the cash. Good resale value too if you keep it clean.

Good luck.

Tech Student

Thanks for all the insight. I am trying to find a balance between the foundations of Dj'ing and the new technology. I want to be able to efficiently beat mix and create loops just by listening to the track, but I definitely am interested in the potential of controllerism. I was hoping to find a controller that would allow me to use cdj's run right through the mixer without software, but also be able to use it with software as a midi controller. Maybe I am asking for too much, or maybe I am going in the wrong direction, but that is what initially intrigued me about the DX. I guess what I am asking is if there is a unit that is basically a DJM 800 and a VCI 100 all in one case?

Quote Originally Posted by Yul View Post
    Some questions may have been answered here:

http://www.mixarchitekt.com/xonedx.html
    Great! I've been thinking about the DX as a complete solution for the 4 decks in Traktor but didn't find any info about how to make the two work together, in that page there's even a TSI, thanks.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Trust me the 2 will work together. Perfectly. Making a TSI for the DX will be a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Karlos Santos; 12-18-2009 at 01:08 PM.

Hawk, no you're not asking to much, what you want in fact is featured within the Xone 4D, not the DX.
    You'll be able to play CDJs connected to the DX but that will be through your software, and the DX isn't it seems Scratch certified.

However the 4d instead is a 'real' mixer, is scrach certified and is a complete solution as you'll have mixer/soundcard/controller all in one. With the 4D you'll have different options than the DX in terms of controller layout but it is a powerful controller anyway. You'll miss led feedback but you'll have more knobs and buttons, a different layout and practicability for 4 decks control and globally all an A&H mixer can provide. I could also mention direct potential control of the 4 fx banks, the vertical faders that are just brilliant for Fx uses and the great filter effects provided by the main mixer section)
    Both 4D and Dx have advantages and 'flaws'.

Now what's best for you considering those two products, can't tell, I've ordered a DX myself but I'll miss what the 1d-like controller sections the 4D has to offer. I'm still torn between the two. I even plan on keeping the 1D I'm using (with other stuff) to use with the Dx (but that's kinda torn the plan of having an all in one solution).

Just to confuse you a bit more, you could still do that as it can be a viable solution (with its own advantages and flaws)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=798UFvp_VMk

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

The DX isnt Scratch Certified... but it could be if A&H (or rather Denon) wanted it to be and NI agreed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Trust me the 2 work together. Perfectly. Making a TSI for the DX will be a piece of cake.
    Have you tried it, Karlos? How it feels with Traktor? Making a TSI won't never be a piece of cake for me, I'm kind of "MIDI-retarded", I would prefer a proper official mapping, I don't need any special trickery or complicated operations for my sets.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

DX no contest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast