Xone DX vs. VCI 100 SE
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Xone DX vs. VCI 100 SE

I am new to the DJ Scene and am getting ready to purchase some equipment. I would Love to buy a couple of CDJ 1000's and a DJM 800, but its not in the budget right now. Here is my question. After much review I am considering a VCI 100 SE or a Xone DX. I know the Xone Dx is not officially out yet, and its performance is yet to be seen, but this is the unit I am leaning towards. I am looking for some opinions on the two choices. I will outline why I think the Xone might be the right choice. I am interested in a controller, but would also like a unit that would work as a standard mixer, ie I could still use a couple CDJ 800's with the Xone. If I purchase the VCI 100 SE, I would still need to upgrade to Traktor Pro, and buy a sound card. This would get me into the $850 to $900 range for a nice setup. If I buy the Xone DX it is already a 20 channel sound card and comes with serato 2.0 for $1299, and I can use it as a standard mixer and it has true 4 channel control. Like I said above I am new to the scene, but I like the idea of a controller that can also be used as standard mixer. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

Xone DX ALL THE WAY. the reason I say this is because u wanted cdjs originally, and what the DX will do for you is teach you how to do major mixing OFF OF the screen. sure you'll have to look at the Itch displays a little but, the are are ALOT of onboard functions and controls very easily labeled and styled like a traditional 4 channel mixer rather than an HID controller. yes it is expensive but it is a high quality product but when you get ready for those cdjs you wont be like "oh shit i dont have a screen.." even if u had timecoded cdjs you'd still be comfy doing your major mixing on your mixer and cdjs without screen help. the xone dx will be a better tool for training and mixing.
    Last edited by Phormula1.8T; 12-13-2009 at 07:03 PM.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

They are not the same product and from what you already mentioned just go for the DX. You gave yourself almost all the answers you where looking for in your post considering your needs, don't you think? Also, if I may add, you may have another alternative which is a Xone 4d (depends on your budget of course but you could get one probably as a second hand item within the price range of the DX...or try at least).

Tech Student

Thanks for the quick replies. Ya I did kind of steer the opinion towards the Xone, but I am not familiar enough with the VCI to know if I was missing something. I have another question also, please remember I am new so forgive me for asking basic questions. With the Xone DX, would I be able to control two virtual decks in Serato with the DX and run two CDJ 800s with time code cds through the DX on the remaining channels? Or can you even use time code cds with Itch? or only Scratch?

timecode is available exclusively on SSL amongst serato products. itch has no timecode capabilities
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

The Xone Dx isn't Traktor Scratch certified yet so for the time being I personally can't answer.
    About the VCI yes there's a point missing which is probably more fun to play with if you're using Ean's mapping and did we mentioned arcade buttons yet

Tech Guru

My personal lean is on two CDJ-800's, a Korg Zero 4, and time code CDs on Traktor Scratch. Same price as the Xone DX.

I like the simplicity of the VCI,and the layout.Everything is where it should be,esay to use.There are a lot of things going on in the DX.Plus i don`t use 4 decks,so im fine with the VCI.My 2 cents..

Cheers.

Tech Student

Will I be able to use the Xone DX as mixer for 4 cdj's without using the itch software? I am just trying to understand what options I would have.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    Will I be able to use the Xone DX as mixer for 4 cdj's without using the itch software? I am just trying to understand what options I would have.

Thanks
    Yes. I am nearly certain the DX has a true analog mixer and is not totally HID with its 20 channel soundcard, and I know it has line and phono inputs for TTs and CDJs. It should work with traktor scratch pro since it has the same or a very similar soundcard as the 4D.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast