Help Needed! New Traktor 3 Mixer Effects - F1 Mapping Help
    Tech Convert

Default Help Needed! New Traktor 3 Mixer Effects - F1 Mapping Help

Hi Folks,

Please forgive me if this is a daft question but I'm very new to mapping and have hit an early hurdle!

Current setup is an S4 MK1 and 2 x F1's and Maschine Mk3.

Since introducing the Maschine MK3 into my setup running into Deck D, I now have a spare F1.

I upgraded to the new Traktor Pro 3 this morning and looking to put the spare F1 to work by mapping the new Mixer FX to the F1.

So, I've created a basic map which uses the F1 pads to choose the type of mixer effect (Delay/Filter/Noise etc) then I've mapped the knob 1 encoder etc. to the dry wet of the effect. All works no problem.

I also want to map the F1 mute button to kill the mixer effect so that I have an instant kill switch rather than having to turn Knob 1 back to the centre. I've mapped the button to Mixer FX On - toggle and it works great...

Now here is the issue, once i've killed the effect using the toggle button, i need to be able to turn Knob 1 back to the centre but as soon as I turn it, it switches the mixer effect back on. Likewise if i map an ON/OFF button for the mixer filter on the S4, turning the filter knob on the S4, causes it to go live again.

The behaviour only seems to occur with the mixer effects. I tried mapping a standard FX unit the same way and it works no problem, the effect is only LIVE when the unit is switched ON, i.e. I can turn knob 1 back to centre and it doesn't put the FX live.

I've tried to play around with modifiers - my Mixer FX ON/OFF button also toggles Modifier #1 value to 1/0 and I subsequently set Knob 1 to only work when the modifier is set to 1. This works in the sense that it kills Knob 1 so technically i can move the physical knob back to centre but obviously the software is still at 100%... also tried playing with the soft release (can't remember exact name) but this also doesn't give the desired effect.

Any help much appreciated, I'm well and truly stumped and this has been driving me mad all day!!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Problem is with S4 mapping 99%

Check all commands mapped to Filter Knob and see if you can find one that activates the Channel FX.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Problem is with S4 mapping 99%

Check all commands mapped to Filter Knob and see if you can find one that activates the Channel FX.
    Thanks Stewe, I'm trying to map the F1 though and that definitely has no other commands associated with the channel FX...it seems to be that it's some sort of in-built behaviour of the FX adjust that it always activated when it's touched...

Channel FX Adjust definitely doesn't turn on the effect by default. Have you tried unplugging the S4 to see if that causes the behavior? If that doesn't help, upload the F1 mapping so someone can take a look.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamshin View Post
    Thanks Stewe, I'm trying to map the F1 though and that definitely has no other commands associated with the channel FX...it seems to be that it's some sort of in-built behaviour of the FX adjust that it always activated when it's touched...
    I can't really remember how this works with original S4 (so 99% sure about it), but MK2's have that same functionality built in to Filter controls by default. And Z2 as well. -that's mainly because there is no dedicated On/Off button for the Channel effect.

You can try out mapping Channel FX in the User Map but it probably is hard coded so I can not guarantee a good results with that.

For me it was simple, just by looking in the Twister it automatically shows the perfect layout for Mixer FX controller

If you're using something like a S4 mk1 that doesn't have dedicated on/off buttons for the filters/mixer FXs, the behavior is different and will be replicated (strangely enough) to any additional/external mapping.
    So with a s4 the knob adjust will also activate the fx, and without any hardware where there's a kind of built-in behavior, the mixer fx adjust will not activate the mixer FX.

The way this is implemented or shall I say the way that impacts other mappings sucks. The best controls for the mixer FXs for me are instant/touch controls like a touch fader. Only one finger to control that, it's so cool. So I created a touch osc template to control that and complement my s4 (and I use A&H eq anyway so it made sense to map that externally). But because of the way my s4 behaves, I can't as the touch parameter that activates the FX will be hijacked by the adjust parameter (so I need to create two controls totally divided, one for the adjust, one to turn the fx off, which is kinda ok but defeats the purpose of having a single easy gesture to do all things at once).
    Last edited by Yul; 03-05-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    Latest mix

There’s also an almost hermetic community that exists in many areas of dance music, where serious hobbyists feed off each other’s expertise but barely connect to the industry – despite many of those involved actually working in it.

Adam did you ever get anywhere with this? Same issue is driving me nuts, using the original Traktor Kontrol S4 (mk1).

I wish there was a setting on the Kontrol S4 preference pane in Traktor that would decouple the Mixer FX On and Adjust functionality when you move the knob...

Cheers,
    Jesse