Traktor Scratch Pro purchase question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traktor Scratch Pro purchase question

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out what would be a suitable purchase for me. What I have right now includes:

Traktor Pro 1.2
    Mackie d.4 Pro mixer (Traktor Scratch Pro certified)
    2 Technics 1200MK2 turn tables (just bought these a couple days ago)

I've been DJing with Traktor Pro for awhile and I got a super sweet deal on the Technics that couldn't be passed up. I end up bringing most of the gear for a lot of parties and events and tracking down turn tables for those who needed them always ended up being the biggest head ache. So when a friend offered to sell me his Technics that were just collecting dust for $400 for the pair,... how could I say no.

However, now that I have them I'm interested in messing around with some time code vinyl in TSP. My understanding is that with the Mackie d.4 Pro mixer I can connect that via firewire to my computer and only the turn tables to the mixer. Using the time code vinyl and TSP I should be good to go right?

So now I'm looking at what the right thing to buy from Native-Instruments is. Since I don't need the external sound card I really don't to pay the large chunk of money for it. I just need the software. Where the question really comes down to is this....

Since I already own Traktor Pro: can I just buy the Traktor Scratch Pro Software Upgrade Download for $79? I can get the time code vinyl down the street for another $20.

The next cheaper options are each a few hundred dollars more expensive and include things I don't really seem to need.

So what's my cheapest option considering the gear and software I already own?
    Last edited by Twist; 12-14-2009 at 12:11 PM.

You will need the Audio8 Soundcard to run TSP with timecode mate. Ya can get the cheap upgrade and the second hand vinyls but there's no way round not having the audio 8 as far as i know.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    You will need the Audio8 Soundcard to run TSP with timecode mate. Ya can get the cheap upgrade and the second hand vinyls but there's no way round not having the audio 8 as far as i know.

According to the NI product site, this isn't true.

Products that have been deemed "TRAKTOR SCRATCH Certified" are premium quality mixers with integrated audio interfaces.
    The objective of the program is also to serve customers who prefer an integrated mixer setup to the mobile and versatile solution provided by TRAKTOR SCRATCH and TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO using its external AUDIO 8 DJ audio interface.
    They also sell a package listed for people who already own the Audio 4, Audio 8 or a "certified mixer". That package includes:

TRAKTOR SCRATCH PRO
    CERTIFIED UPGRADE
    (includes TRAKTOR PRO
    Software with DVS plug-in,
    2 control vinyls, 2 control
    CDs)

All that info can be found here:
    http://www.native-instruments.com/#/...age=tsppricing

Tech Mentor

I think your on the money. All you need to check is the Traktor Pro -> Traktor Scratch Pro upgrade path. My understanding is a little fuzzy but NI has a maze of upgrade because of it's multiple product lines and it's licensing of the DVS algorithm.

Tech Wizard

The d.4 pro is among a small handful of audio interfaces that’s Certified Traktor® Scratch Ready. What’s this mean? By upgrading the d.4 pro with Native Instrument's Traktor® Scratch Upgrade software, you can mix and scratch digital music files on your computer using your standard turntables and CDJs with specially coded vinyl and CDs. While other DJ mixers require additional hardware to interface with special 'timecoded' vinyl control records and CDs, the d.4 pro is set up to interpret Traktor’s external timecode directly, allowing you to pull up your entire digital track library, right on your trusty ol’ 1200s. Find out more about this amazing software here.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Do you have TSP or just TP?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Dude this is THE only package for you period:
    http://co.native-instruments.com/ind...0&redirected=1

You have a TSP Certified Mixer so you need the above package. You dont need the Audio 8/4 soundcard.
    Do NOT buy the timecode on its own. There is no package that just supplies the DVS Plugin alone you must buy a package.

The Upgrade for 79$ that you mention is for owners of the Original Traktor Scratch package. You do not qualify for this.

You can sell your current Traktor Pro if you wish to fund the purchase of the Certified Mixer Package.

Karlos

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably just go ahead and offload my Traktor Pro serial number to a friend.

My local DJ store ended up cutting me a pretty sweet deal on the full TSP Edu kit. As much as I didn't feel like I wanted to spend all the money on a sound card when I have the d.4 Pro it's also a bummer to be tied to it for gigs. Having a high quality sound card will resolve some other inconveniences as well and there was just no way I could say no at the price he cut me.

Now if a pair of the X1s would magically appear in my eager little hands I'd be completely blissed out! :-)

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Are you aware the the EULA agreement that governs the use of any EDU Product states that it must not be used in a commercial way. This means DJing for money !!!:eek:

Dont worry i wont tell.

I've never been paid for a gig so no problems there. :-)

I'll play out a lot but it's at big house parties and festivals that my friends put on. Would I love to make money doing it? Sure, but it's not likely to happen soon and it's not why I do it.

On a seperate note...

When I started DJing it was in Traktor 3 using just my laptop and later a BCD3000 controller. The downside is that all of my training and habits were formed with the advantage of a sync button. Now, trying to practice using TSP and the turn tables is a real bi***! I find myself wanting to do things I'm used to to work through my build ups and mixes with effects and such but spending all kinds of time just trying to keep things from drifting out of beat.

Gonna take some time to get quick at keeping things from drifting apart!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast