industry standard microphone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default industry standard microphone?

Hi, i know i saw what model it is, but cant remember. Could any1 point me in the right direction? 10x

Tech Mentor

Shure SM57?

Tech Guru

sm57 is akin to the technic 1200's, at least in a live situation (its a tank). You will probably not see very many in non home studios.

Mine is a Manley Reference... and it stays safely at home. Truly an industry standard... warm, friendly and full. It's like butter.....

SM57's have rocked many a live crowd though, and they hold up well. Mine have taken a beating and still sound decent in live situations.

Tech Mentor

shure sm57 or sm58... those are pretty much the standard for vocals on concerts. In the studio it's another story...

analogdog: omg you really have to beat a 57 hard to break it...

Take a single SM57 from any venue and try to imagine the gallons of saliva that it has taken and evaporated.

You'll see these in most live sound rigs. Studio? I've met engineers and home hobbyists alike who have seen recording situations which call for them. And I'm sure there's a low-end Shure condenser mic that everyone and their shadow has at home.

It depends on the purpose you're looking for.

But still, if you like to see good mic comparisons, even be it on human beatbox front, check out the humanbeatbox.com website.

They do an excellent job on telling what excells on what mic.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Guru

shure sm57 or sm58... those are pretty much the standard for vocals on concerts.
    You'd be hard pressed to find an actual SM57 or 58 on a real concert tour now. Maybe a local band. You're much more likely to find Sennheiser or Lecrtosonics wireless mics now, especially with the swappable capsules on the Senns (Neumann is available for example).

SM58 for vocal tasks, SM57 for instruments. That's the standard, they do higher quality versions called the beta57 and beta58 which are widely used as well.

You cant go wrong with a 57 or 58 though, as said before they are tough as fuck and sound great on guitar cabs, snare drums vocals.. pretty much anything you throw at them!

Tech Wizard

So many replies, 10x guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast