My dream midi deck contoller (minimal cost)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default My dream midi deck contoller (minimal cost)

Hey all, just had some free time this afternoon and chucked a few things together in my favorite 3D app. Basically I wanted to set out and design my ideal midi controller based on a CDJ paradigm. What I have thus far is not near my finished concept--design/functional or otherwise. I also have a few other radical designs on brain paper but since this is kind of a personal project to keep in mind cost considerations I stuck with the standard box. Functionality not included thus far are external memory and browser controls probably worked into the inset area near the front. Also a lot of details are not there.
    Nevertheless this unit would incorporate hi-res midi signal, robust platter and tempo adjustment with a standard collection of buttons and CCs. It would include a USB, midi in/out and power adapter. No CD player...this is a pure midi device.
    I have no plans to ever fabricate this outside the virtual world but thought that some of you would be interested to see/comment on the concept as I have yet to see a very economical solution to deck controls on the market, i.e you get a VCI with it's IMO lame jogs or a CDJ with wasted/unused servos.
    What would you guys add/change to a device like this?

thanks for reading

PICS:

Tech Guru

while making the bottom side of it concave is quite stylish, I feel like it wastes a bit of space.

We all know what people are going to call for: ARCADE BUTTONS!!!!! hahaha...

I feel like they could go on the bottom portion.

By the way, I'm loving the look of your design here, you did a very nice job on it.

Tech Guru

I want it to have my babies.

"I feel like it wastes a bit of space"

Quite true. It's not very efficient, though i'm a bit torn between a classical design and a more progressive aesthetic. I just needed a starting point to get this personal project underway. Another concept would merge a circular base with elevated areas for controls.

"I want it to have my babies."

Lol, There IS a glory hole on the bottom but I never really had the intention to incorporate a mini in/out.

Tech Mentor

Here Stanton made it for you

It's basically what you've designed there but with more things stuck to it. I really like them pity at 900AUD a piece I can't afford them

Tech Guru

I mean, dont get me wrong. This is perhaps the sexiest piece of kit I've seen hahaha, and I *like* that concavity, butttt, It is a tad wasteful, and I feel lots of people will have problems with that.

Tech Guru

yeah, i mean, this link

http://kontrolprodj.com/content/view/19/1/

is like a bulky, non sexy version of your controller.

That, Stanton looks very nice. Dunno what 900AUD translates into EUR or USD but I would want this to sell for no more than 200-300USD.
    Also, keep in mind this is about 2 hours behind a 3D app with no real reference than memory. I will want to add more controls, perhaps a basic LED and other gizmos. The main thrust of this is inexpensive but stylish and functionality. I'll continue to develop based on other things I would like and your comments.
    Oh yeah, for a sense of scale I used standard dimension from CDJ-1000

Thanks

Oooh, those assignable controls on the stanton are the teets
    Last edited by space monkey; 12-15-2009 at 11:20 PM.

Tech Mentor

Comments. arcade button cue points!
    I think a run of 8 buttons with 2 at the top for modifying would be perfect. run down the side of the unit. I'd have something like:
    . .
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o
    o

with the o's being the arcade buttons and the .'s being 2 modifier buttons.
    In fact... I think you could just about ghetto/DIY this controller. The hard part is the platter. Both the fabrication of it and the touch-sensor on it.

Can anyone find a diy part that works as a touch sensor that we can connect to a larger platter.
    B.C.Ninja's Mod to the xbox controller has nearly enough buttons.

Tech Guru

hahaha, see what I mean man?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast