USB Hub problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default USB Hub problems

I recently purchased the 7 port hub that Fat limey recommended on the FAQ's
    I am having problems getting my VCI-100 to work when the hub is plugged in. Even if the VCI-100 is plugged straight into my laptop (Acer Aspire 5515) and the usb hub is plugged into a different usb port.
    Any thoughts?
    Thanks in advance.

Sorry mate, i am not sure, I know I just bought a VCI-100, and I noticed I cant run through a hub, I checked the documentation,and it said not to run through a hub (something to do with power supply). But I do NOT claim to be an expert, I have only had my VCI-100 for less than a week and am still learning the in's and out's. I know you will find someone here to help you out.

Tech Mentor

At least with some cheaper PC laptops the usb ports might not meet the standards. You could try switching the VCI to the other usb port.

Does VCI function without the usb port plugged in?
    Is the hub usb powered?
    @Twumpy

Been so busy messing with the Midifighter, I haven't had a chance to try any other hardware. Sorry, not a clue.

What do you mean by "not work"? Does it not enumerate? Not appear on any of the USB device lists at all? Not power up? Even with the power supply applied to the hub?

I run all my stuff through a truth 7 port powered hub, not that I used the VCI 100 anymore,but the couple of times I have plugged it in it has powered up perfectly and worked.

I also have a 4 port non powered usb which can only take a maximum 3 items plugged in then it can't power any more, EG if i have 3 items plugged into this hub and plug my IPhone in to update it, it won't charge if i remove one of the other items it will charge while updating.

I presume you are using non powered? if so i would recommend spending £15 and getting a 7 port powered hub they solve a lot of these sorts of issues.

Tech Convert

Well as i said Ciar, I bought the 7 port hub fatlimey recommended in the FAQ's section.
    what I mean by it does not work is that I plug in the hub and the VCI-100 will not work or control any of my music.
    if the hub is not plugged in it works.
    by the way I am using traktor LE still. Does that make a difference?

ok are you talking about plugging it into the usb port on your pc/mac or into the mains? explain a bit more, is the hub lighting up indicating that it's actually on?

Tech Convert

The hub does light up indicating it is on.
    The hub is plugged into one usb port (with my fast track pro pluged into the hub) and the vci-100 is plugged into another of the pc's usb ports.
    when i do this, none of the vci's functions work.
    I hope I made myself a little more clear this time..lol
    Believe it or not I was a communications major..lol

Tech Mentor

I'm pretty sure it's a power problem.

If your hub has a power adaptor, then use it... if not plug your vci in another usb port of your laptop, or buy another usb hub which has a power adaptor...

If you're already using a power adaptor then it's a problem of bandwidth. Your sound card is filling the pipe with too much data and there's no room for the vci to send it's data.

Or maybe it's both problems... you can only know which if you try with a powered hub.

Tech Convert

Stumpy, thanks for taking time to help me out, Yes the vci functions perfectly without the usb hub plugged in, and yes the hub is a powered hub.
    Could it be because my vci is only usb powered? Should I buy the power adapter? and if so do you know what voltage power adapter etc.
    Thanks in advance for all the help guys...my laptop only has two usb ports and I would love to be able to use the music on my external hard drive with out having to buy a new lappy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast