Airport Security Puts Three Bullets Through MacBook, Hard Drive Survives
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Airport Security Puts Three Bullets Through MacBook, Hard Drive Survives

Bit of a random article i found that may give you Mac guys a giggle

US citizen Lily Sussman took a vacation in Israel, to visit extended family there and see the sights — all the usual tourist things. On the way in, though, the security forces got rather serious.

After pulling her aside for questioning, reading her journal and even flicking through her camera to check the photos (hint: don’t take snaps of “graffiti, which read “Fuck” scrawled next to the Jewish star of David”), she was left alone. An announcement was made over the airport speakers, which Lily remembers as something like “do not to be alarmed by gunshots because the Israeli security needs to blow up suspicious passenger luggage.”

In fact they didn’t blow anything up. Instead, they put three bullets through the MacBook, gave it back to the now rather upset Lily and let her be on her way. The security forces didn’t even ask for her password.

The amazing part is that not a single piece of information was destroyed: The bullets miraculously missed the MacBook’s hard drive. And despite the holes rent on the casing, the body of the MacBook has kept together quite well. If it worked, it would be the ultimate case-mod. So what should we take away from this incident? Back up your files. If your computer gets shot by airport security, you may not be as lucky.

Lessons to be learned from this...

1. Macs iz tough
    2. Don't fuck with gun-toting Israelis!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

great you just gave the elitist mac shit heads more ammo...way to go...
    Silly DJ loops are for kids!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Animus View Post
    great you just gave the elitist mac shit heads more ammo...way to go...
    lolz

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Tech Mentor

Not to be a stickler, but I don't see why this would show macs are tougher than other laptops. If you shot a PC three times and missed the harddrive, I'm sure you'd still have all the files on the harddrive intact.

With that out of the way, that poor lady must be so upset. I know I'd be pissed and spooked as hell if my laptop got shot up by airport security.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

thats awesome, i want them to do that to my laptop.
    Sure there goes a few thousand dollars, but you get to keep all you data and you get an awesome laptop to display in your house with gunshot holes from Israeli police haha!

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Guys, c'mon, it's funny. Her laptop got shot and her hard drive survived.

Have a lol, for reals.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Tech Guru

I've really lol after seeing this picture
    Why don't Mod your laptop with bullet stickers at the case and a bullet wallpaper on the same place at back on the screen?
    It would look really gangsta

I don't get how shooting a bag is supposed to rectify a problem. My day job is airport security and granted I don't work in a fascist hotspot like israel but I can say we don't respond to suspicions by filling the questionable bag with lead...

Tech Guru

I take it the bullets weren't compatible with Snow Leopard.
    Last edited by mmauve; 12-17-2009 at 08:32 PM.

Here's the interview with the girl involved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihXtbB-4GWw
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast