duh...Where's the S4 Mk3 mapping?
    Tech Wizard

Default duh...Where's the S4 Mk3 mapping?

Er...so I got a brand new S4 Mk3, registered, downloaded latest TP3, connected S4 and it basically works.
    I open TP3 and S4 works, all good, and if I connect a 2nd controller (DJ44), the DJ44 works and in prefs the mapping is visible.
    Here's my (No0b-esque) issue....when I select the S4 MK3 there's nothing in the assignment table. I get that it's maybe some kind of built-in thing but how do I customize the preset mapping? Sure it's something very obvious but I was expecting to see it all there in front of me ready to be
    customized and I'm ready to be forehead-slapping myself in 5....4...3..

posted this at NI too, I'm at work and forced to kill the next 5 hrs and have the S4 here so hoping I can work on this here, thanks

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

All mappings are under the hood. The clear editor is place for new commands that you wish to add on top of default functions.

Use Add In and Add Out buttons to select new commands. And they will be added to Assignment Table. You can then enable Learn button and press/turn/twist control on your hardware to assign a function to a hardware control.

You could also check out my custom mapping for S4 MK3: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/9325
    And there is also Tekken's: https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/9277

I added nearly 7K commands to mine. Try and see, maybe you will like what you find.

Best,

Tech Wizard

Cool, thanks Stewe...at least I know now.
    And if I want to mute or delete a pre-existing command? For example if I want to change single fx button 2 to just be a momentary on/off for the unit instead of its regular button 2 function? Won't that clash with the pre-existing mapping? That's how I have my DJ44 setup and it works great for me.

edit - AHA! "override factory map"
    Last edited by niknok; 10-30-2019 at 01:54 AM.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niknok View Post
    Cool, thanks Stewe...at least I know now.
    And if I want to mute or delete a pre-existing command? For example if I want to change single fx button 2 to just be a momentary on/off for the unit instead of its regular button 2 function? Won't that clash with the pre-existing mapping? That's how I have my DJ44 setup and it works great for me.

edit - AHA! "override factory map"
    Sounds like you figured it out!

Best,

be careful with the maps as sometimes then can screw stuff up later. i managed to stop myself deleting hotcues haha. in the end i decided to use the samples button as another modifier as i just use 4 decks and no remix deck. meaning i can use my knobs for things like panning and changing key now too. i did use them for FX before i bought a couple of Xtouch Minis for those.
    best way is to look at what buttons you never use and remap them to something useful but im still pretty new to all this myself

Tech Wizard

Exactly....so far so good though. Interested to hear what you did with panning as that's something I like to use. On my other controller shift/panning one channel moves pans A and B in opposite directions together....very trippy.

One other challenge that's stretching my brain right now is trying to map shift/ext button to switch C gain knob between gain and monitor mix (I'll do the same with D for monitor volume). I have monitor mix and volume mapped to the C/D gain knob ok but right now the C/D gain no longer works so I'm thinking a switching button would be handy. I use the S4 in my studio and connecting it to an external audio interface saves me having to mess with monitor connections.

Tech Wizard

OK, I need some help!

I want to use shift + the C/D EXT button to switch the channel gain knob between regular channel gain and monitor mix (C) and monitor volume (D). (I've tried using the learn the learn function with the EXT button but there's no response so I'm not sure if it's unmappable, I'd be happy to use shift+L/R FX selector button right below EXT)

RIght now I have the 2 gain knobs mapped directly to monitor mix and volume and disabled regular gain on C/D but I'd rather be able to keep the gain function available by using a switch.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks