Couple questions
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Couple questions

    Hey, some questions about the Twister:
    What does the detent mean? I enabled it for a pan knob, and it works fine now as the middle (63 value) is now the default, so it's bipolar. But changing the detent color value? It didn't seem to do anything. The middle dot is just purple. ... Don't have any specific problem with purple, except it doesn't match anything else on the desk.

    The superknobs are supposed to give you a fine (high resolution) feature when the button is pressed down, yes?
    It isn't working for me. I check the 'enable superbutton' box and it doesn't change anything. The button is set to 'reset encoder value' so letting go of holding the knob down just resets it. Any help with superbuttons?

    And what is the 'Indicator Type'? Blended bar, dot and bar seem to look like the same thing.

    The MidiFighter Utility screen is showing my bank of buttons as all green (except the one knob I'm working on is blue), but on the hardware they are all blue. There is no green at all. ?

    I found the middle side buttons move banks back and forth, what about the other four buttons?

    Is there a manual somewhere that I haven't seen?
    I just started working with it, so I'm still setting it up; thinking of neat ideas of using it.

  2. #2
    DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MIDI
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    Hey Trev,

    Sorry for late reply.
    My notes are below each quotation.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    Hey, some questions about the Twister:
    What does the detent mean? I enabled it for a pan knob, and it works fine now as the middle (63 value) is now the default, so it's bipolar. But changing the detent color value? It didn't seem to do anything. The middle dot is just purple. ... Don't have any specific problem with purple, except it doesn't match anything else on the desk.
    Detents are great for panning and HP/LP Filter type controls. You can combine them with Reset Encoder value Switches to create that quick reset function.

    Turn a Knob = Adjust Pan value
    Push a Knob = Reset Pan value to 0 (12 o'clock)

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    The superknobs are supposed to give you a fine (high resolution) feature when the button is pressed down, yes?
    It isn't working for me. I check the 'enable superbutton' box and it doesn't change anything. The button is set to 'reset encoder value' so letting go of holding the knob down just resets it. Any help with superbuttons?
    You should use "Fine Encoder Adjust" instead.

    Encoder Settings --> Switch Action Type --> Encoder Fine Adjust

    The superknob activates secondary CC message and you can adjust it's start point in MF Utility. For example setting superknob value to 63 will activate secondary CC when your main CC reaches velocity value of 63.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    And what is the 'Indicator Type'? Blended bar, dot and bar seem to look like the same thing.
    Indicator type is offering three different Ring Indicators. Have you ensure to click on "Send to Midifighter" after changing this settings?

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    The MidiFighter Utility screen is showing my bank of buttons as all green (except the one knob I'm working on is blue), but on the hardware they are all blue. There is no green at all. ?
    Same as above, you will have to click on "Send to Midifighter" before any changes can be observed on the hardware LED's.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    I found the middle side buttons move banks back and forth, what about the other four buttons?
    You are in default settings in which middle side buttons are mapped to 'previous' and 'next' bank and corner side buttons are basically the Note On/Off messages. You can use the Utility to reconfigure what side buttons can do. For example you can select a bank directly or set up a Shift page.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    Is there a manual somewhere that I haven't seen?
    I just started working with it, so I'm still setting it up; thinking of neat ideas of using it.
    The User Guide pdf can be found in the Midifighter Setup Guide.

    [thread moved to midifighter sub-forum]

  3. #3

    Smile

    Thanks for the reply.

    I don't mean to be annoying, but I'm excited to set this up.
    I'm using it in FL Studio. Didn't see any mappings on the forum. Not sure I would need one though.
    Would be interested in what someone else did with it though.

    I think bank A will be mixer effect on/off with the mix wet/dry knobs.
    Bank B for all the FLS sample settings.
    Other banks dedicated to one plugin each, probably Serum and other ones.

    I just realized that the green I'm talking about is the 'on colour'. The page that loads on default is the 'on colour'
    page. So, it's fine.

    I've learned about my other issues in the manual, but still unsure about the superbuttons.
    The manual says it will send a secondary cc over the range selected. ... what? What range, and how do I define
    this range? Are these knobs velocity sensitive?

    If I use 'Fine encoder adjust' for the knob button, then I lose the 'Reset' function that I set up for quick-pushing the button. So I still have only two features on the knob. I thought the superbutton was a third feature. It's activated by holding the knob-button down? (I'm going by the youtube video, the 'Twister demo')
    Or does the superbutton replace the default button press features?

    Thanks for the help

    (*edit) You already answered about the superbuttons, but I pushed enter, while in the emoji part, and it just posted the reply.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SuperTRev; 12-29-2019 at 11:18 PM. Reason: mistake pushing enter

  4. #4
    DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MIDI
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    Hey Trev,

    Good to know that User guide solved most of your questions.

    Yes you are right about choosing either 'Fine Encoder Adjust' or 'Reset Encoder Value' feature. These are both MIDI Switch functions and they cannot be combined into a single function.

    I thought the superbutton was a third feature. It's activated by holding the knob-button down?
    Or does the superbutton replace the default button press features?
    Superknobs are activated by turning a Knobs. Could it be that you are referring to Shift Encoder feature?

  5. #5

    Default

    Ok, one more read of the superbutton section answered my question I think.

    If the global setting is at the default range, and I 'enable superbutton' on a knob, then when turning it past the middle
    (63), it will fire off another CC message, as I understand it. I don't see a box to define what cc it is, but I did see a guy on youtube moving two parameters with the one knob. I guess that I can midi learn in the daw, move the knob past 63 and the daw will pick it up.

  6. #6
    DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MIDI
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    Ok, one more read of the superbutton section answered my question I think.

    If the global setting is at the default range, and I 'enable superbutton' on a knob, then when turning it past the middle (63), it will fire off another CC message, as I understand it.
    That is correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    I don't see a box to define what cc it is, but I did see a guy on youtube moving two parameters with the one knob.
    Following illustration reflects all CC Numbers assigned to superknob CC's.



    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTRev View Post
    I guess that I can midi learn in the daw, move the knob past 63 and the daw will pick it up.
    Yup that is one way. You can also connect unit to a Midi Monitor and observe sent Channel/Number/Value.

  7. #7

    Red face

    Ok thanks a lot.

    The random question: what does a dj play. I put "controller" then "decks" and were both wrong
    If I come to this site without using the email link, the website refuses to sign me in unless I check the
    'remember me' box, by the way. And google thinks you are an untrusted site. Just so you know.

  8. #8
    DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    MIDI
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    The correct answer to the random question is "music".

    Thank you for the feedback! Please let us know which OS and Internet browser do you run on your computer so we can try to duplicate the issue and improve the experience.

  9. #9

    Default

    Music, hey? Well technically a DJ plays discs. Or jockeys discs to be accurate.
    A VJ plays videos and an RJ plays the radio. What do you think about THAT hahaha

    I'm running the Google Chrome browser in Windows 10 Home, with a desktop PC.
    Pretty sure Chrome updates itself, so the version should be current to today.
    I've seen Chrome trigger false positives before.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •