[OBSERVATION][FILE FORMATS] Isn't time to modernize the digital era ?

Default [OBSERVATION][FILE FORMATS] Isn't time to modernize the digital era ?

Hi All,

Looking to see what you guys think of this...

I'm currently on Traktor 3 with an S8

So with 7 years of reading, viewing, listening what other pros are doing, I recently bought a Prime 4 because I want to eliminate the laptop (at least for the music part, the lighting automation is quite interesting so the laptop will remain.).

Again with more research especially in recent weeks trying to convert my libraries (40K songs) with Engine Prime and Serato from Traktor, it's clear that there's a technology leap forward that really needs to happen to help any DJ using a digital format that may want to use different platforms for different venues or events...

Having my primary work in the computer field, it would seem only obvious this is one of many leaps that would level the playing field between the big DJ companies out there busting their chops for us to buy their products.

The point

Already, most modern day formats incorporate a lot of data within them (ID3 tags for example), so why not a file format for songs to embed the beatgrid (properly set either by the record companies or by the DJ itself... editable of course) within the song file.

Why?
    • Any modern day software would then have it a whole lot simpler and lighter to operate (less heavy to build and debug the software anyway)
    • The resulting file would not be that much larger that the actual respective formats
    • Automation with lights, videos, any visual technology out there or about to be invented would benefit
    • Sound effects in the various software that depend on the beatgrids to function properly would sound much better
    • DJs wouldn't have to spend countless hours re-tuning everything when they switch platforms, or update them

What I do realize
    • Companies like Denon, Pioneer, NI, Atomix and the like probably would not like it because it would simplify DJs to switch too easily
    • Creating such a new standard that would be accepted will not happen overnight
    • The money involved alone is something to consider

Bottom line, what do you think ?
    It's just a thought, maybe wishful thinking. If you really think about it, the technology is present, why not ?

Default Addendum

Quote Originally Posted by DJMartyCruze View Post
    Hi All,

The point

Already, most modern day formats incorporate a lot of data within them (ID3 tags for example), so why not a file format for songs to embed the beatgrid (properly set either by the record companies or by the DJ itself... editable of course) within the song file.

Why?
    • Any modern day software would then have it a whole lot simpler and lighter to operate (less heavy to build and debug the software anyway)
    • The resulting file would not be that much larger that the actual respective formats
    • Automation with lights, videos, any visual technology out there or about to be invented would benefit
    • Sound effects in the various software that depend on the beatgrids to function properly would sound much better
    • DJs wouldn't have to spend countless hours re-tuning everything when they switch platforms, or update them

What I do realize
    • Companies like Denon, Pioneer, NI, Atomix and the like probably would not like it because it would simplify DJs to switch too easily
    • Creating such a new standard that would be accepted will not happen overnight
    • The money involved alone is something to consider

Bottom line, what do you think ?
    It's just a thought, maybe wishful thinking. If you really think about it, the technology is present, why not ?
    In addition
    I also know that beatgrid info is stored in metadata, but how detailed is it really or standardized as recognizable by all software?

Example : take a file analyzed, properly gridded in Traktor and have Serato analyze it (at a high percentage, it will grid properly). Some of you with experience with Engine Prime will definitely see a difference.

However the extended point to this is sometimes (at a moderate percentage, both software will not analyze the same way and crush the previous analysis. Hence in a lot of cases, you can't use the same files in 2 separate software. In some cases, some software will ignore it and store this in a separate file or database.

At least I haven't been able to achieve this on a 60% or higher score.

I like to be able to be flexible with different platforms without the hassle of making a separate set of music for software A or one for software B depending on the venue.

I'm willing to entertain that I might not know enough to be valued as an in-depth analyst in this case, but I'm sure someone can either validate or tell me I've been misguided and correct me.

Default Not possible without company cooperation

Unfortunately, companies are not willing to cooperate. I am positive that if Denon made it so their players could read Rekordbox tags without converting them Pioneer would be crushed but they have to refuse, which makes it hard for a non-cretacious period format and player to become popular. Lets be real here, the CDJ 2000 Nxs2 has tech from 20 years ago. Their format isn't much better, but since every club in the world has Pioneers we have to keep using it.

Tech Mentor

I am completely with you. But I believe the big companies won't do this, because (like you wrote) they don't want use to easily switch between platforms. This opened up a market for third party apps like rekordbuddy(,..) to do that job. This seems the way the market modernizes the digital era.

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)