The Kontrol S1/S8 project [build log] - Page 2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    Thanks! "old school DJTT" that's a big compliment for me haha.

I was really stuck on the communication with the buttons, after long hours I discovered I was accidentally using 5v instead of 3.3v to power the board which was messing with the 165 circuit. I might have damaged something permanently on the right S1 doing that .

Yesterday I tried using the left unit with the proper voltage, connections and code and tada:

I've also mapped the normal LED's and the display LED's so they are fully working as well:

After you get all the bugs worked out, how much would you charge to mod an S4 into a pair of S1's like this?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I wouldn't really know to be honest. I could do two things:

1. Provide a kit for people.
    This would mean you'd still have to disassemble the S4 and cut the plastic body in half but apart from that it would be super simple, no soldering, foolproof.

2. Mod them for other people.
    The nice thing about this is that the design is simple, stable and super error-proof. It would essentially mean no support to provide and the modding of the physical body gets easier and cleaner the more of them you do.

It eventually comes down to what I want the most, which would not be making money, but sparking DJ DIY enthusiasm and getting freaky DIY controllers back into the scene.

The main reason I'm even considering the last option of the two is that it literally took me years to find a place where I could pull the S4 trough a table saw, actually doing that, finding a place, buying and bringing the S4, IMO is the hardest part.

If I would sell them pre-made they would probably end up costing €150-250 per controller.
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    I wouldn't really know to be honest. I could do two things:

1. Provide a kit for people.
    This would mean you'd still have to disassemble the S4 and cut the plastic body in half but apart from that it would be super simple, no soldering, foolproof.

2. Mod them for other people.
    The nice thing about this is that the design is simple, stable and super error-proof. It would essentially mean no support to provide and the modding of the physical body gets easier and cleaner the more of them you do.

It eventually comes down to what I want the most, which would not be making money, but sparking DJ DIY enthusiasm and getting freaky DIY controllers back into the scene.

The main reason I'm even considering the last option of the two is that it literally took me years to find a place where I could pull the S4 trough a table saw, actually doing that, finding a place, buying and bringing the S4, IMO is the hardest part.

If I would sell them pre-made they would probably end up costing €150-250 per controller.
    €150-250 is more than worth it. A kit would be super cool too.

On an aside, does the mixer work on its own separated from the controller, or does that require modding as well?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    €150-250 is more than worth it. A kit would be super cool too.

On an aside, does the mixer work on its own separated from the controller, or does that require modding as well?
    It requires some modding as well, but it's probably quite a bit easier to mod than the jog sections.

This is, by far and away, the BEST FUCKIN’ DIY on the internet.

I’d start snapping up used controllers for modding & selling if I were you mate!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I don’t suppose, by some miracle, these single deck controllers have turned out be the same width as the F1/X1/Z1 and will fit nicely n the NI metal controller risers?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This is, by far and away, the BEST FUCKIN’ DIY on the internet.

I’d start snapping up used controllers for modding & selling if I were you mate!
    Thank you so much man!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I don’t suppose, by some miracle, these single deck controllers have turned out be the same width as the F1/X1/Z1 and will fit nicely n the NI metal controller risers?
    Haha nah unfortunately not, they sit quite a bit higher than an X1, are a couple of CM's wider (2-3CM) and a bit taller as well.

Tech Mentor

Do these just have a standard USB connection? .....I've got a Kontrol Z2 mixer sat here which would look great with one of these either side!
    Cheers

IAN WILLIAMS

Quote Originally Posted by thisisian View Post
    Do these just have a standard USB connection? .....I've got a Kontrol Z2 mixer sat here which would look great with one of these either side!
    Yep, just a standard USB B female port on the back. They might even have audio out (16 bit, 44.1 kHz) and will also feature a monochrome display with track title, time, progress etc.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Love it!!! Simply AMAZING!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast