The Kontrol S1/S8 project [build log] - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Are there separate boards on the S2 MK1?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Are there separate boards on the S2 MK1?
    Just checked it, doesn't seem to be the case: https://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=70915.

Damn lucky that the S4 MK1 is this easy to mod, all the others are much harder. I'm guessing that you could probably saw the PCB along the deck lines and still connect easily to the IO by soldering to specific points on the S2 but the extra time that that would take you would definitely not be worth it if you could also just pick up a second-hand S4.

Edit: Absolutely not the left deck FX section and possibly also not the right deck FX section
    MF Pro & Spectra | Kontrol S4 MKI | 2x Kontrol S1 MKI | MC-1000 | Generic MKI

My heart is broken. ��
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Kalo View Post
    I am also not sure about, I think DJDoubleYou will add an Arduino too, and make the whole logic himself, right ?
    @DJDoubleYou: let me ask you again, how do you plan to build the logic later on, any Teensy planned (or trying to keep the existing logic on pcb) ? Asking because I had same issue in past, I needed a small portable (midi native) controller, using on laptop or any ipad/smartphone. Modular and best for traveling. I loved the NI 2 Encoder concept, and needed a tiny jogwheel (not for scratching, needed for cueing, gridding, HC preparing, pitch ending etc..). So it ended in a complete self made controller family, lol (expensive but rock solid in metal, portable, midi native, 1 to 4 deck support). Maybe the Dark Board or the Dark Wheel (or some details on my descriptions) may inspire you. I love your idea too

https://dark-controller.com/darkwheel/

Dark Family.jpg
    Last edited by Kalo; 02-15-2020 at 03:25 AM.

@DJDoubleYou: let me ask you again, how do you plan to build the logic later on, any Teensy planned (or trying to keep the existing logic on pcb) ? Asking because I had same issue in past, I needed a small portable (midi native) controller, using on laptop or any ipad/smartphone. Modular and best for traveling. I loved the NI 2 Encoder concept, and needed a tiny jogwheel (not for scratching, needed for cueing, gridding, HC preparing, pitch ending etc..). So it ended in a complete self made controller family, lol (expensive but rock solid in metal, portable, midi native, 1 to 4 deck support). Maybe the Dark Board or the Dark Wheel (or some details on my descriptions) may inspire you. I love your idea too

https://dark-controller.com/darkwheel/

Dark Family.jpg
    Looks great! Yes it will have a Teensy 4.0 in every deck, to enable native USB MIDI and later on perhaps emulate an NHL (HID) device. It has been done and doesn't look too difficult.

Tech Convert

Great and your solution is best because cheap and inovative.

i use the 3.2 mostly (fast enough and needs ~25mA only instead 100mA in 4.0). Is there any document published about NHL HID protocoll ? I thouht about same (background: i would love to support HId too, because Traktor on IOS does support Z1,S2 and S4 only). I was wondering if we could simulate this S2 or S4 HID, then any other selfmade controller could be used with TDJ (as long NI does not offer open midi in TDJ). Same with your controller, would be amazing having an 'S1' on TDJ
    Last edited by Kalo; 02-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Great and your solution is best because cheap and inovative.

i use the 3.2 mostly. Is there any document published about NHL HID protocoll ? I thouht about same (background: i would love to support HId too, because Traktor on IOS does support Z1,S2 and S4 only). I was wondering if we could simulate this S2 or S4 HID, then any other selfmade controller could be used with TDJ (as long NI does not offer open midi in TDJ). Same with your controller, would be amazing having an 'S1' on TDJ
    I wasn't able to find this but I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the IOS compatible models have an additional chip inside that takes care of that.

Tech Convert

NI wrote this once, but only partially true. They searched for an argument why the user cant use midi native controller (to push selling their own hardware). there are vendor of apps (DJ Player Pro) support all native midi on ios (using the normal camera connectivity kit, this one has the apple certified 'authentification' key inside ; ) . The real problem on TDJ ios is: NI did do not add a midi protocol.
    Last edited by Kalo; 02-15-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Trying to get back to this but due to the lockdown S4 MK1 prices have increased a lot unfortunatly

Quote Originally Posted by DJDoubleYou View Post
    Trying to get back to this but due to the lockdown S4 MK1 prices have increased a lot unfortunatly
    Yes they have. On a sidenote, is this same project possible with the S4 MK3?
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6