Recording & Mixing Quality Wise: all internal vs external?
    Tech Wizard

Default Recording & Mixing Quality Wise: all internal vs external?

Setup: Traktor 2, 2x CDJ 850, DJM 800, Komplete Audio 6.

When i record i connect the CDjs as midi controllers and audio interfaces, cdjs are connected to the DJM and from the REC Out i connect the komplete audio 6 to record my mix on audacity.

considering all these digital/analog conversions and all the cables and the paths the music travels to get back to the same laptop to get recorded, will i get better quality if i mix internally on Traktor and use the internal recorder?

Then comes this question: Is the mixing quality on a Pioneer mixer (external mixing) better than mixing internally on Traktor?

Last edited by Errefae; 01-28-2020 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Errefae View Post
    considering all these digital/analog conversions and all the cables and the paths the music travels to get back to the same laptop to get recorded, will i get better quality if i mix internally on Traktor and use the internal recorder?
    Tehnically yes, of course recording without conversion is better for sound quality but....and now comes the tricky part: it may not sound better.

If you did the original setup correctly and used good cables for analog connection you should hear no obvious audio quality issues with your recording. If you switch to internal mixing (I assume with some all in one midi controller like the NI S4) you may get a tehnically superior recording but the different hardware used might be a obstacle that is just not worth overcoming.
    Actually I will be blunt: it's definitely not worth it.

If you want to improve the quality of your recording: stop using CDJ as audio interfaces and just use DJM850 as audio interface in traktor and ditch the Audio 6 for recording - record DJM850's master audio stream directly in Traktor's internal recorder (did you even know you can do that?)
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    If you want to improve the quality of your recording: stop using CDJ as audio interfaces and just use DJM850 as audio interface in traktor and ditch the Audio 6 for recording - record DJM850's master audio stream directly in Traktor's internal recorder (did you even know you can do that?)
    They have a DJM-800, so they can't.

Ay ay, I see the mistake now...
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2