Copyright - DJ mix for theater shows
    Tech Convert

Default Copyright - DJ mix for theater shows

Hello all,

I questioning the copyright things. I need to DJ - or create a mix for a dance show. I am not producer - therefor I buy music and mix. I guess lot of us buy a music and mix it for party or club. I suppose it is ok - it's not a copyright violation. But how it is for theater shows? Buy a music, mix it and? Is it ok, does it need to get filed - buy for copyright use? Also as theater show might not be a big issue, but later these shows has a trailers online - so it does not get pulled down or reproached? Anybody some good advice?

I am just coming back to it, so I need to grasp how does it work now.
    I see possibility that it is either ok, or it needs to be registered and pay copyright (but what about right to mix and manipulate).
    Anybody please knows the position of the Beatport? I thought it is ok to buy and mix, but I had been reproached once from one composer. It is true it had been sole experience, but I would never like to repeat it again.

Thank you in advance.

Be good and stay healthy!
    Last edited by Desh; 05-21-2020 at 04:56 AM. Reason: typo, wrong word use

Tech Convert

Anybody with some useful advice or experience to share?

Or anybody with some good source of CC music to share?

Quote Originally Posted by Desh View Post
    Anybody with some useful advice or experience to share?

Or anybody with some good source of CC music to share?
    I worked as a contact writer in the live show industry for some time. For any non-original part of the score, you will need to contact the rights holder for the music used. You want to include the theatre name, location, capacity, name of the show, timestamps where the music will be played during the show, dark dates, live dates, and showtimes.

In your case, you will want to build your playlist first, then go from there. In some cases, it can be more affordable to hire someone to score some music for the performance (as they will charge you a one time fee instead of royalty payments).
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6