Newbie : OSX file management
    Tech Convert

Default Newbie : OSX file management

I didn't see this topic in the FAQ section so sorry if it has been asked previously.

I have recently got Traktor Scratch Duo and everything is set up on my Macbook. I am now trying to import all my tracks from CDs and move files from other machines.

The problem I am having is tagging and saving files so they make sense. I have tried various ID3 tag software but they only work with MP3 files not AIFF, WAV or M4U if I am ripping from CD to iTunes.

My current work flow is :

1. Import tracks from CD to iTunes
    2. use iTunes Get Info to add in ID3 tags.
    3. Remove the file from iTunes and then run "A Better Finder Rename 8" to rename the imported file using the ID3 tags
    4. Drag the renamed file back into iTunes so that tags and renamed files are associated.
    5. Use traktor to create playlists and collection.

Step 2 - 4 are a little long winded... is there a quicker way to do it ?

Tech Wizard

Default Track import workflow.

this is my process:

1. Rip CD to desktop folder called "Recent Rips" using Max in WAV format.
    2. Copy the files to another folder on the desktop called "Music to Back Up". (These then get transferred later to an external HDD that way i never loose them at the best quality).
    3. Use max's encoding to bring the wav to best quality MP3. (these make new files and they go into folder called "To Be Itunes".
    4. Tracks in the "To Be Itunes" folder then get analyzed in RE2 to detect the Key & BPM.
    5. Tracks then put into Musorg for tag fixing & renaming as well as renaming the file based on the tags.
    6. Then tracks are finally run through macMP3Gain to create a consistant level for all my MP3's. (i set it to 93db) just my personal preference i can explain why if you want me to)
    7. Tracks then added to itunes for further tagging to do with my smart playlists set up.
    8. Tracks in the "To Be Itunes" folder are trashed as well as the ones in "Recent Rips".

Now i have a back up of my tracks in Wav format and a well organsied MP3 in my itunes library folder. once you get into the processes it will become second nature!

hope this helps

good luck
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

I just don't rip from CDs, I just dl it from the better online stores.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

i wish i had that much patience to do it right!

Tech Wizard

yeh well if i dwnld a new track then i just do the same instead of the ripping step i mentioned. everything is still the same process.
    Gear --> MBP 15" 2.53Ghz 500Gb 7200rpm HDD 4Gb RAM | DDM 4000 | UMX 25 | AK1 | AL7.18 | Traktor Pro 1.2.4

I download as well, but for me it's:
    1. Download / RIP with MAX in 320kbps MP3
    2. Let it run through PN2
    3. Let it run through MiK
    4. Import it into iTunes
    5. Reapply the id3-information lost during PN2
    6. Back up original to NAS at home

But I really wished it was easier.
    I mix stuff on my things...