Update MidiFighter Twister indicator LEDs values via MIDI

Default Update MidiFighter Twister indicator LEDs values via MIDI

In addition to music, I frequently use my MidiFighter twister as a controller for interactive visualizations on the web, and I would love to be able to set the indicator LEDs on my MFT to match the values of the visualization when the page loads, using MIDI. For instance, if the value for "Strobe Oscillation Intensity" in the visualization is set to 120, I'd like to set the indicator on the MFT to 120 for that controller when the page loads.

I can't find any way of doing this documented in the official MFT manual. I can see how to change the animations of the indicators using MIDI, but not how to change their values.

Is it possible to update MFT indicator values using MIDI? If not, is there another way I could go about this?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Hey Cmal,

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your unit. Please answer the following questions so we can find what's wrong with your unit and troubleshoot it.

1. What OS are you running on your computer?
    2. Do you have a MIDI enabled browser such as Chrome?
    3. Which app are you trying to get the LED Feedback from?
    4. Do you have MIDI Out port enabled as well?
    5. Have you tested the LED feedback on your unit by connecting it to some other midi capable app? (such as MIDI Monitors)

Default MFT Indicators

Hi Stewe,

I think I miscommunicated the issue.

The MFT is correctly displaying the value of the controllers once I change one of the controllers. The issue is that the INITIAL value of the MFT indicators don't match the INITIAL value of the settings in my web app.

As an example, take a look at the attached screenshot. When I first load the webpage, the values shown in the screenshot are the initial settings in the web app. However, the MFT has no idea that those are the initial settings, and so it's indicators will still be showing whatever the previous values were.

If I turn the controller that corresponds to the growSpeed setting, rather than changing relative to the initial value (6) it will jump the value immediately to whatever the new controller value is, which may be very different from the initial value.

What I'm hoping for is a way to tell the MFT (via MIDI sending code on the webpage) what to set it's values to when the page first loads, so that when I change the controllers they are changing relative to those initial values.

To do this, I think I'd need there to be a way for me to update the indicators on the MFT to specific values using MIDI. Is that possible?

Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 1.22.18 PM.jpg

From the manual:

It is possible to sync the display value of the CC or note to the parameter it is controlling in your software of choice. Simply map the MIDI OUT for that parameter to the same MIDI number on channel 0.
    So if you know the CC for each encoder, I guess just send a MIDI OUT for the same CC on channel 0. You probably need to augment the value to a range of 0 to 127.

Default Thanks

For some reason I had to use channel 1 instead of channel 0, but after that I was easily able to update the controller value to match the web app. Super cool. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

MIDI channels are presented as 0 to 15 in the user manual.