The "techno" issue - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I had a similar comment at my sister's Halloween party from one of the hosts...

"Ok, enough with the techno, play some 80s".

I was playing some bloghaus/nu-disco and bmore, and could understand that they wanted music they knew... but i was a little pissed inside that it all got lumped into "Techno"...

oh well....

Tech Guru

it must makes me go T_T

all the time....

T_T

i love the DJ is an jukebox phenomena. fucking great isnt. ppl who want to be in control of the music dont need DJs they need iPod. whats the point in hiring a dj if u want let them spin the way they spin
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

lol it comes with the territory (eventually)

Now I do NOT consider myself one of the soul-less shmoes who offer up the same empty statement "I like everything except for Country" when asked about music in their lives. However, I do listen to and have respect for at least a bit of every kind of genre you can think of (although about 95% of what I listen to is Electronic, EDM, "Techno", etc).

I consider myself pretty well rounded and cultured when it comes to music (thanks to Mom). To criticize art is human nature and it repeats itself all through history and with every generation. Take a look at the last 100 years or so. It has happened with every genre you can see. It happened with Jazz (basically music created and played significantly "off beat" and "not in tempo"). It happened with Rock, Metal, PUNK, Disco, HipHop and it's been happening with "Techno" for over 20 years. All music will predictably be called crap by at least some people or segment of society (not to mention the cultural, racial or socio-economic labels they also want to saddle a particular genre with).

I think here in the States its definitely a cultural thing. In other countries...say..Europe...it is a lot more widely accepted and even commercial. Here in the states we are VERY media dominated (i.e. we are bombarded with products and trained to "like" or buy what we are told to from a very young age). Major record labels spend millions marketing something as "cool" or "uncool".

I think the funny thing is that even with people I would consider intelligent...they seem to throw around the same tired arguments about "Techno". ("its repetitive" "its boring" "its annoying" "its simple" "anybody could make this" "its not 'musical' " "there is no heart in it") I will very seldom argue any of these points....its like trying to convince somebody that gravity does exist.

Its just hilarious because I am usually familiar with the music they are fond of...I look at it and see that anybody with half a brain can make ALL the same "points" they are trying to make about EDM. Verse, chorus, verse...guitar riff, same 3 chords, same concepts, same type of ideas and lyrics that have been written about for hundreds of years. We're all human and all our creations have similarities written all over them. As the Word says "there is nothing new under the sun".

I actually rather like it. I enjoy what little "underground" quality is left in my music here in the states. It has changed allot over the last 10 years and money has been rearing its evil head in the culture for some time...but I enjoy the fact that it still scares people...still pisses them off, still offends them. Who the FUCK wants to be "normal"

And not to be too much of a snob but...the last time I heard a truly profound statement from a 17yr old was...never. She simply doesn’t like it and there is no truth to the knee-jerk reaction. Things change and tastes refine and mature....just like 17yr old attitudes of 1st boyfriends and the "daddy I love him" bullshit usually does too.

...my 2 cents
    http://soundcloud.com/rvltion909

...chasing beats through ghetto streets...

Tech Guru

as far as the 17 y o thing goes, that was just an example. her saying that actually pisses me off less than when one of my friends says the same thing. It just was like, in the moment.

I personally hate the term EDM. Mainly 'cos it could mean anything. I could hate it, I could love it. Was it coined recently? Never heard the term a few years back.

'Ain't nobody listen to techno' - Slim Shady
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

Tech Guru

dude, I' have dropped that sample so many times haha. my roommate was like, hit this shit up.

Quote Originally Posted by lethal_pizzle View Post
    'Ain't nobody listen to techno' - Slim Shady
    ^^^ Hugely sampled (often poorly) vocal line.

The word techno has an awful stigma about it. I don't like saying I listen to techno. But sometimes that's the only way people will understand what I'm talking about without having to go into great depths about synthesizers and sequencers and the TB-303... and so on...
    LamboxMusic.com
    Newest release: A Pimp's Overture in B-Flat Minor
    Check out my free "Robo Rhythm" EP: Here

Soundcloud - Facebook - Twitter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rvltion909 View Post
    lol it comes with the territory (eventually)

Now I do NOT consider myself one of the soul-less shmoes who offer up the same empty statement "I like everything except for Country" when asked about music in their lives.
    Wait, I'm a soul-less shmoe?

most of my friends listen to hiphop and consider everything i like playing techno lol. recently they've started calling it indie shit, which i'm guessing they picked up somewhere in college lol.

back in my 'hip hop' days, i kinda considered everything electronic-y techno, so i'm guilty of this as well.

the one thing that gets me, is that the people that ask me about my 'techno' usually go to top 40 clubs that play electro dance remixes of those songs lol. so i usually just compare it to that.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast