Lost original power chord for my old Vestax VMC004XL-can't find a working replacement

Default Lost original power chord for my old Vestax VMC004XL-can't find a working replacement

Hi!

So after about 10 years or so because of various life reasons I finally got the opportunity to unpack my old DJ setup: 2x Technics SL1210MK5 turntables and a Vestax VMC 004XL mixer. Problem is, I seem to have lost the original power chord for the mixer. I bought a "universal" ac/dc power chord with various swappable plug-ins and adjustable voltage, but I can't find the specs of the Vestax mixer anywhere, so I don't really know what voltage it's supposed to run on. The only info that's written on the mixer itself in regards to power is "AC-14", absolutely nothing else about the power specs. I tried setting the universal power chord to 14V, but the mixer didn't turn on.

What do I do? Is there any way to find the specs of the mixer so I know what power chord to look for? I googled for hours, couldn't find anything, I guess the mixer is just that old (I found out Vestax as a company doesn't exist anymore). Does anyone here maybe have that mixer at home and could read the power specs from their original power adapter?

Any help is appreciated!

when all else fails you read the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/52...?page=8#manual
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    when all else fails you read the manual: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/52...?page=8#manual
    Thanks a lot!

I set my power chord to 12V, but it doesn't work. Any way to know if it's the power chord's fault or if the mixer is working at all?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

AC-14 is the original supply model name. Can the universal one you are using provide at least 1000mA? You can also try reversing it's polarity if possible.

Overvolting your mixer over it's design spec (12v) can lead to permanent damage so avoid setting it to anything higher than that in the future.

His mixer is AC 12V. He was using a universal power supply set to 14V - but AC or DC? Pretty reckless IMO

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    His mixer is AC 12V. He was using a universal power supply set to 14V - but AC or DC? Pretty reckless IMO
    I'm in EU, not US, so obviously AC. Also, I set it first to 12V, because the only source through googling said it was 12v. Since that didn't work, I thought the source was wrong on the specs, and then I set it to 14V. Neither worked.
    Last edited by VictorSerge; 03-01-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    AC-14 is the original supply model name. Can the universal one you are using provide at least 1000mA? You can also try reversing it's polarity if possible.

Overvolting your mixer over it's design spec (12v) can lead to permanent damage so avoid setting it to anything higher than that in the future.
    Yes, the universal power chord has 1000mA, I specifically searched for one like that.

Not sure what else I can do now...

Ok, so I got a different chord and it turned on! However, now I'm not getting any sound from my turntables, although I know there's nothing wrong with them. I connected them to my amplifier and they work just fine, but when I connect them to my mixer, it's as if there's no input, the little sound LEDs on my mixer are completely off. I checked if I connected the turntables properly, I checked that the volume on the mixer was up, from the trim to master volume, nothing worked. I even tried connecting the turntables to every channel (the mixer has 4), nothing. Is my mixer dead for some reason?

Also, I can hear some buzzing noise coming from my mixer to the amplifier, even when there's no record running. I haven't been into DJ tech over 10 years, I forgot what could be the reason for this happening.
    Last edited by VictorSerge; 03-03-2021 at 08:52 AM.

AC or DC has nothing to do with voltage difference between US and EU power grids btw.

Oh well, regarding the new issue: check if you plugged them into PHONO input on the back of the mixer. Next check if the toggle switch for the channel is in the phono position (left). Test the mixer with line level input (CD player, mp3 player, etc) to make sure the main part of the mixer is ok, you might have blown the phono preamps in the mixer