State of DJ Software
    Tech Guru

Default State of DJ Software

Hey everyone!

Long time since I've been on these forums, but looking to get back into DJing and I'm trying to figure out what to reinvest into.

For context, I've used pretty much every type of gear in the past (TT, CDJ, Traktor, Serato, Maschine/Traktor + X1's, etc) but now I'm either loading up USBs if I'm going somewhere that has CDJ's or using my Kontrol S4.

I'm thinking of buying a new controller, trying to figure out if I should stick with Traktor or go towards Serato.

Many thanks
    Macbook Pro 13" | XONE 92 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2 | Audio 8 | (2) NI Kontrol X1 | Technics SL-1210 MK2 | Juno 106 | Adam A7x | BOSS DD7 | Soundbite XL Looper | +more

soundcloud.com/kevinsantos @kevinsantosdj

Rekordbox
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Santos10 View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a new controller, trying to figure out if I should stick with Traktor or go towards Serato.
    ...depends.

Traktor now has color in the Browser and Smart Playlists - still needs Elastic Beatgrids and a better Cue Point naming naming configuration.

Serato has all the above already, along with a Stripe (waveform overview) way too small to see properly, NO song preview directly from the Library, and your stuck with whatever sound card is in their approved hardware.

Rekordbox needs an i7 8 Core CPU so you don't age prematurely while it's doing song analysis.

My own personal favorite Cross DJ V3.4.3 is being killed off by Mixvibes.

There still is no perfect software - pick your poison.
    Last edited by Hanginon; 05-15-2021 at 10:18 AM.

Tech Convert

Here's a (IMHO very fair minded) analysis of the 2021 survey Digital DJ Tips did on software -

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

What music do you play?

I love my Traktor, but they are really slow to add new features.

But if you are comfortable with the S4 type layout, nothing can still beat that. the feeling of quality is still there too, filters, EQ and effects sound good, and what is there is very well thought out.

I still feel like Rekordbox looks like shit, and behaves a bit dodgy. But it's becoming the biggest platform, so it's hard to ignore.

Weirdly, Virtual DJ is now the most feature packed of the lot, and they claim to have the most solid software too, least recorded crashes.

But I'm sticking with Traktor as long as I can because of tight intergration. The S4 mk3 has everything laid out, so you get to use muscle memory as much as possible, very little shift button use, menu diving or touching the computer.

While using USB sticks with top-of-the-line Pioneer decks removes the computer from the equation completely, they still use the touchscreen in much the same way. So on Traktor S4 you can beatjump without looking at the machines, while on Nexus players you have to stare at a screen, or screens, a bit more.

The two rotary encoders Traktor uses for beat jumping are a design that should have become an industry standard.

But there are a few things in play now. Not sure how they will shake out. Stem separation technology will compete with the EQs and Filters somehow, but it's early days yet. Only NI has built interfaces especially for stems. But Traktor doesn't do live stem separation, like the newer apps do.

But it's really just about what machine will catch your fancy. The apps are mostly similar, the controllers that are built around the app technology will reflect your needs, so start there. Pick one you like. Pioneer has the biggest ecosystem, but that comes at a cost.

No-one seems completely happy with theirs at the moment. There isn't a shining star in the lot. These are the difficult adolescent years of DJ software. So the only good choice is one of kit.

Oh and there is good conversion software now that migrates collections between different dj programs. Mixo is one. So even if you chose something and you don't like it, you can always move to another one.

Let's not forget DJay Pro. I've recently got a license and am slowly learning the software. The ability to isolate vocals on the fly is something I've needed for years.