Need Clean hip hop tracks for Boxing day gig
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Need Clean hip hop tracks for Boxing day gig

Hey everyone, so a while back I mentioned I was thinking about doing a clothing store gig. I'm in and i've been going through my tracks picking out beats. I was going for hip hop that you'd see in snowboard movies and the more lyrical focused stuff like gang starr and a tribe called quest. The problem is that the guy wants radio edit stuff and I just asked him if the occasional word shit or n**** was cool and he said it's all gotta be clean. So not only am I dealing with trying to find hip hop without shit but without n-bombs as well and i'm having a pretty tough time. Where can I grab some clean tracks or can you guys point me to some hip hop groups that are more clean. I know most of OM's hip hop groups are pretty clean. I love my gang starr and i'm disappointed that I have to remove them from my list. Any suggestions are welcomed i've got till boxing day.

Tech Mentor

maybe bleep the tracks you like?
    Get a scratch sample set on cue points and just play the tracks through then cue point to cover the curse word?
    Could also set the cue buttons to set:
    Deck volume down to say 75% then back up when released?

Tech Wizard

look up "tommy boy presents hip-hop essentials" they are all edited but some are still a no go. Common has SOME good clean stuff. i don't know what program you use but i have traktor and i was able to set cue points on the few bad spots in some of the cleaner songs so i knew when to edit. good luck

also jimmy spicer "Money" would be a good one. they may not know the song but they know the beat.
    Last edited by DJBanyon; 12-21-2009 at 03:28 AM.

When using Traktor I just beatmasher2 over the words. If im using the clubs cdj's I just flip the revers.

Lyrics Born, Gym Class Heroes, Lil' Mama her G-Slide song is Dope I reckon!

Tech Mentor

2k7 from Dan the Automator

It's from a basketball xbox game but really cool and I think the mood fits perfectly with a boxing night.

I'm pretty sure it's all edited. Just take a listen to it and see if you like it.

http://www.amazon.com/Presents-2K7-T.../dp/B000H0MMI6

Maybe also the music from xbox boxing games Fight Night Round series. A lot of hip hop there and maybe you're lucky and it's edited.

Tech Guru

hmm the beatmasher idea is good but feels like a lot of work especially with the amount of n bombs that can be dropped in some of these songs.

Tech Convert

Man, that's a tall order. I play prog and techno, but just out of curiosity, I went through a bunch of random stuff off my hard drive and came to the conclusion that the beatmasher / appropriate FX option might be your best course of action here. I found some Atmosphere and People Under the Stairs tracks that, while not inundated with profanity - would still require some occasional edits.

RJD2's "Ghostwriter" and a bunch of Blockhead was the only thing in my mid-tempo folder I found that didn't involve swearing... uhm, probably because they're all instrumentals. This is probably a bit out of the style of music you were aiming for too though.

Good luck - And let us know how it turns out, what you ended up doing...

Cheers,
    Jones
    Evan Jones
    Soundproof / Area709 / Beheshto
    www.soundproof.ca
    www.area709.com/evan

Kid cudi is good. Crookers do a nice remix of embrace the martian

try rye rye or kid sister

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast