VCI-400 EGE which firmware (not audio firmware)
    Tech Mentor

Default VCI-400 EGE which firmware (not audio firmware)

Hi everybody.

I bought a VCI-400 SE on eBay. And while the package is on the way to me, I'm digging midi maps. I read there are different firmwares for this controller. I am not interested in the audio firmware (stand alone feature), but curious what the midi firmware changes. I downloaded the Vestax updater, but I have no PC with XP, Vista oder Win7. So, I guess I won't be able to update anything.
    Now, my question is, what are the changes the FW2 makes to the VCI-400 SE?

MacBookPro 11,1 | i5 2,4GHz | 16 GB RAM | 256 GB SSD
    MacOSX 10.15.x | TraktorPro 3.x | VCI-100 SE FW 1.4 | VCI-400 SE (EGE)

Hello,
    did you use the VCI400 with MAC Catalina? Does it work?
    I am also considering buying a used one
    Pioneer REV 7, Serato

If you do, can we expect more of your custom mappings?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Mentor

@Viper9711
    Yes, the VCI-400 EGE works without problems with my MacBook Pro (late 2013) and TP3. The sound interface works fine, as well. I'm very happy with the this second hand Vestax controller!

@slayformoney
    Yes! I´m planning to make mappings for the VCI-400EGE and for the VCI-100SE. Both will share the same functions, FX combos, modifiers and settings. Well, the VCI-100SE will miss some functions due to the lack of controls.
    The mappings will be influenced by flashflooder´s concepts. But I don't want to just edit his mapping, so I make a new one from the ground.
    Do you have feedback, which FX settings you want? What about Remix Decks? I don't use them, guess I will remove this functionality, because most people use a dedicated extra controller for RemixDecks. What do you think? More ideas? Give me input, what you want/need on the controllers.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by c0nsul View Post
    Hi everybody.

I bought a VCI-400 SE on eBay. And while the package is on the way to me, I'm digging midi maps. I read there are different firmwares for this controller. I am not interested in the audio firmware (stand alone feature), but curious what the midi firmware changes. I downloaded the Vestax updater, but I have no PC with XP, Vista oder Win7. So, I guess I won't be able to update anything.
    Now, my question is, what are the changes the FW2 makes to the VCI-400 SE?
    Try running the updater in the compatibility mode.

If you need any help with testing let me know. I also have one in the works but curious to see what you have in mind!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Updater works fine on Win 10 without having to use any compatibility settings.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    Updater works fine on Win 10 without having to use any compatibility settings.
    That's very good to know. Thanks. I don't have a PC, but I will try it on a friend's computer and report back.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Windows via Bootcamp works too. I haven't tried via a virtualization (Paralells, etc) so can't vouch for it.

Tech Mentor

So, finally I flashed the VCI-400SE. I made sure the FW2 for the VCI400SE is installed.
    And I reverted from Stand-Alone firmware back to the normal audio firmware. I made this, because I noticed a strange issue with the Stand-Alone functionality: After playing in Traktor for some time, the cue mix knob starts behaving strange. When I turned the knob all to the left, to pre-listen a song, the headphones still play the master signal. Turning the knob all left just made the master a little more quiet. And the volume of the headphones (still mix cue knob all left) increases/decreases when turning the master volume knob!?! This behavior happens suddenly. After restarting the VCI it is gone for some time, but then it happened again. I couldn't reproduce the triggering of the behavior. So I reverted to the original audio firmware. At this stage of testing the strange behavior seems to be solved. And I don't need the Stand-Alone feature.

Did anyone of you had (similar) issues with the sound interface? Does the Stand-Alone-firmware have any other improvements besides the Stand-Alone functionality?

@padi_04: YES! With a Win10 laptop, it worked like a charm! THANK YOU, because without your hint I would be still looking for an ancient WinXP computer.

@stewe: The new mapping grows and grows. As soon as I have written an overview (concept, functions,..), I will publish it here in maps section. And I hope you 8and everybody else interested) will give it a try and have feedback to improve the mapping.

At this moment, I mapped the most basic functions and changes for the mixer, FX and loops in one TSI-file. And I also mapped the jog fx (12 jogfx) in two TSI-files (left+right). Right now I'm mapping the grid section with instant gratification fx, hotcues and one press FX. As soon as that TSI-file ist ready, I will make a manual.

In the meantime you could help me with some of your favorite FX combinations for jogfx, one button fx or supercombos.