Read if you value your ears!!! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Great thread. I completely agree with all the above. I'm about to get myself some, anyone have any recommendations or advice?
    Thanks, Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by Karlos Santos View Post
    Yes please, with a Large Coke and fries, thanks.

My dad says this all the time. He's rather silly and super cool at the same time.
    He also makes light of the situation, but I also see what is in store
    if I don't actively take responsibility of what hearing I have left today.

For over 40 years he was an Air Traffic Controller.
    They wore those heavy government issue cans, with little to no design consideration for long term damage.

The result, he now has a pair of the most expensive in-ear cans one can buy.
    $8000 hearing aids, that have to be replaced again due to failure (every few years).
    This is also not covered by insurance, or the government...so it's an expensive,
    and somewhat heartbreaking prospect,
    when considering long term damage and the ability to hear your family, friends, strangers....
    ...oncoming cars, rabid dogs, rattlesnakes in the barn.

A $10 can of 100 plugs from Home Depot or your hardware store is a good start, for sure.

I've lost a bit of hearing (mids to highs), with occasional ringing in the right ear due to working power equipment,
    trimmers and blowers for a ten year stretch for my old landscape company.
    Generally, the trimmer/blower engine was near my right ear for 12 hours a day,
    with partial hearing protection for most of those years.

I'm certain a portion of this is attributed to the years in the clubs and and the need to find "11" on the amps, often.

The first time I noticed the hearing loss was when I turned on a fan at night, for white noise, and then switched sides.
    The left ear could discern a much more dynamic range of mids and highs coming from the fan, than the right ear.

To this day it bothers me.

I wear with caution, plugs at any event that carries db's extended for any period of time.

It's that important and thank you for posting.

The environment that consumes us, is a cruel mistress.

I know this issue well and can see first hand, what the future holds for me
    if I don't take further precautions to protect what I have left.
    Last edited by b3nz0n8; 02-05-2011 at 04:02 PM.
    ------=== ===------

Quote Originally Posted by Chauvin View Post
    **THIS IS A MESSAGE I AM PASSING ON FROM ANOTHER BOARD**
    WHERE EAR PLUGS WHEN YOU GO OUT!!!

KEEP THE VOLUME DOWN AS LOW AS POSSIBLE WHEN YOU ARE PRODUCING!!!

TAKE BREAKS AS OFTEN AS POSSIBLE!!!

TREAT YOUR EARS LIKE THE MOST EXPENSIVE, IRREPLACEABLE PEACE OF EQUIPMENT YOU HAVE, COS ONCE THEY ARE GONE IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW GOOD YOUR MONITORS ARE ETC IF YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM!!!

AVOID HEADPHONES WHERE POSSIBLE!!!
    This is a warning to all of you forum trollers out there!

Avoid Using Caps Lock!!

Keep the Font as Small as Possible!!

Take Breaks from Trolling as Often as Possible!!

Treat Your Eyes Like They are Expensive and Irreplacable!!

Don't Look Into Lasers!!

Caps Lock is the Leading Cause of Blindness On Forums!!

Jokes aside, I whole heartedly agree, I have cheaper silicone ones that have little pieces that stick out my ears, but I know that I'd rather look a little silly than be deaf.
    VCI-100 SE Arcade - Hp Win 7 2.4 ghz 4 gig ram - Traktor Pro - Presonus Firebox

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Halukar View Post
    This is a warning to all of you forum trollers out there!

Avoid Using Caps Lock!!

Keep the Font as Small as Possible!!

Caps Lock is the Leading Cause of Blindness On Forums!!
    I disagree.

Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

sebastiannz

one useful thing about itunes (actually the only thing I like) is that it has a volume control lock. you can set it to halfway and it prevents you from turning up your ipod too loud when you are on the bus or walking in a noisy street. quite a good thing to turn on if you are worried about tinnitus.

i went to an audiologist a few months ago to test my hearing because i was getting worried, fortunately there were no problems. i recommend it though, gives you peace of mind, or gives you warning if you are listening to music too loudly.

do you guys always cover your ears when ambulances or fire engines drive past? i find it really painful, but i notice most people just ignore it...?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by janzak View Post
    Some sounds also physically hurt my ears, like noisy car breaks, people being noisy while doing the dishes, loud pitched screams
    This...

I don't have noticable tinnitus (very occaisionally, and i have pressure problems with my ears anyway) but i find this the worst thing, i have to ride the tube/bus/walk through central London daily, and it's so painful, now i wear my dj headphones whenever i can with the music on about 80dB.

One tiny upside is i find it easier to distinguish beats in breakbeat or dnb because the snare really stands out (Not exactly nicely mind).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123