Questions before buying
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Questions before buying

First I wish to say hi to all since this is my first post on this forum.

I was looking into buying an USB midi controller / mixer for Traktor and at the moment I haven't really decided yet but my preference is starting to shift towards the Vestax VCI-100. From what I made up already by reading info on the net this seems an old one compared to some other ones but it still manages to pull ahead of those more recent USB midi controllers. The only one that also comes to mind is the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 but I have a bad gut feeling about it though I can't actually pinpoint the cause of it.

However, I'm not an expert in digital DJ'ing and I have to rely on communities such as this to enlighten me and learn me a thing or two...uh...million

I have almost no hardware. I use a Creamware Powerpulsar 15DSP audio card + Scope Fusion Platform 4.0, Cubase SL, Creamware Luna 2496 I/O controller, Traktor DJ Studio 3.0 and an Evolution MK-361C midi keyboard / controller.
    It should be quite obvious that such a setup, even though it is a small one, is still alot to learn considering I'm just a rooky in creating music and digital DJ'ing. By the way, I'm aware of the fact I should get myself a decent pair of monitors

But anyway, I decided to put more effort in digital DJ'ing since this is actually what interests me the most, though I do understand that the Creamware Powerpulsar 15DSP audio card with Scope Fusion Platform 4.0 is some serious overkill just for the goal of learning to DJ on a computer. I'm not dropping music creation entirely but I need to learn more since the learning curve is quite steep and I have to admitt that having some basic hardware knowledge and expertise is required (for instance on how to connect the different types of plugins like synths, samplers, mixers or effect like reverb, etc)

So, like I mentioned before I created a serious interest in the Vestax VCI-100 and by looking into it more I came across the 'SE' version which can only be bought here. When I checked on its current price it means that this 'SE'-version is about 70 to 90 euro (sorry, dunno what it is in USD) cheaper compared to when I should decide to buy it here in Belgium. I'm wondering how this is possible on a product that has improvements over the original one. And talking about improvements, I read the 'SE' one also comes with a new firmware. Does this firmware include 14 bit (or at least 10 bit) support on jogs and faders since a local store advised me to keep that one in mind as standard midi (7 bit) isn't ideal for beatmatching manually. Hey, I know there is a 'sync' button but that doesn't mean you need to rely on just and only that. So I wonder how valid this advise is and how some of you think about it or have some experience with it and wish to share their thoughts on it.

When I should've decided to buy the VCI-100 SE I will ofcourse upgrade Traktor DJ Studio 3.0 to Traktor Pro

Thanks in advance for any info you could give me on all of this.

Don't be flooded by all the supposed greatness of the VCI-100 around here, all the people using it are just following Ean's steps like sheeps, they are MIDI-nerds that love to spend their time doing mappings and installing firmware rather than djing which is what is all about, think for yourself, if you are a beginner the Reloop is a lot better cause it comes pre-mapped for Traktor pro and is made for playing with it, so it has lots of functions that the VCI lacks and you'll have to blow your mind and spend countless hours to configure and set to manage the VCI to do the same that the reloop does already by factory. The Reloop is also cheaper and it doesn't looks bad, what's your problem with it? What do you want to learn? Djing or MIDI headache?

PD: Well, someone has to say it no?
    Last edited by pepehouse; 12-21-2009 at 03:35 PM.
    "I was caught so many times getting oral sex in the booth it was disgusting. I would tell the girls, "Bet you can't make me miss a beat"" (Francis Grasso)

Home
    Mixcloud

hmmm, Just as soon as I feel settled on the VCI a thread like this throws me back into limbo about which controller!

I JUST WANT A CONTROLLER AS CLOSE TO VINYL AND FUNCTIONALITY AS POSSIBLE!

BTW WarCable I would also look at getting a nano pad with your dj controller purchase!

I think you'd have a lot of fun with the VCI mate. Its been around a while but a lot of guys around here use it for good reason, and there's heaps of support and help available from these fellas. Its a good alround, rock solid device that does the job. You can start off with just the basics and move up to controllerism etc when you get comfortable with it. You can also incorporate your midi keyboard into the setup no worries. welcome to djtt btw
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by pepehouse View Post
    Don't be flooded by all the supposed greatness of the VCI-100 around here, all the people using it are just following Ean's steps like sheeps, they are MIDI-nerds that love to spend their time doing mappings and installing firmware rather than djing which is what is all about, think for yourself, if you are a beginner the Reloop is a lot better cause it comes pre-mapped for Traktor pro and is made for playing with it, so it has lots of functions that the VCI lacks and you'll have to blow your mind and spend countless hours to configure and set to manage the VCI to do the same that the reloop does already by factory. The Reloop is also cheaper and it doesn't looks bad, what's your problem with it? What do you want to learn? Djing or MIDI headache?

PD: Well, someone has to say it no?
    regardless of how you feel about the vci, or the site, I'd say that "hours" is a bit on the extreme side. I installed Eans mappings, made tweaks to it, and started jamming out in about 15 minutes (would have been about 3 without the rewerks). The only extra functionality the reloop might have is the fact that it has 2 separate knob sections for effects, which means no cycling via vci (although this problem is solved by both fader fx mode, and eq effects, which you will not have access to with the reloop unless you spend hours and possibly days bogged in the mappings). However, now that traktor has 4 fx banks, this still doesn't fit the bill.

While I'm sure the reloop is a nice device, the reason why I grew wool, and started baa'ing, is because of the amazing support group here on this forum. If you are having any type of issue with your vci, the sheer number of people willing to help you is tremendous, and the mappings available are quite indepth, well thought out, and frequently updated.

Also, how can you tell him to think for himself, and then hand him your advice to take?

But to be honest, dont expect to be told much else than vci 100 on this site. I mean, we are all sheep, that's how we do. I'm just a midi nerd.... cant dj worth anything (actually, that part has some actual truth to it haha), and regularly spend 6-8 hours revamping my mappings, just so I can pause and play a song and use the eq's..............

Default True!

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    I think you'd have a lot of fun with the VCI mate. Its been around a while but a lot of guys around here use it for good reason, and there's heaps of support and help available from these fellas. Its a good alround, rock solid device that does the job. You can start off with just the basics and move up to controllerism etc when you get comfortable with it. You can also incorporate your midi keyboard into the setup no worries. welcome to djtt btw
    That's what I thought NZ!

Ean has made so much effort & improvment to this particular controller with performances to prove it! With so much information, after sales service and general know how on the history and prosperous future ahead for this device I'd go where there is know and choose the VCI-100! If that makes me a sheep...So be it, peace of mind is never a bad thing, I believe!

It has obviously withstood the test of vigorous gigging and bashing of cue buttons too as you stated NZ, She's a tough bitch with a 6 ft Strap-On! Not exactly what you said but same difference!

Lol! I don't actually use one myself, have a Hercules, I-Mix and a few other toys to play with, but woulda grabbed the VCI had i knwn about it back then. BTW names jester bro
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Sorry man cause your kiwi a calling you NZ! Jester!

Tech Convert

Well, that was already alot to read and it's quite clear nothing is black nor white. Everyone seems to have their own opinions and it doesn't make it easyer to choose.

One of the reasons I'm so reluctant of the Reloop Digital Jockey 2 is the fact I would only buy the controller edition (the one without sound interface and I will explain why soon) and it seems that it isn't equipped with touch sensitive jogs which surprises me alot if you take into consideration that this is a very recent controller and what astonishes me even more is the fact the interface edition does have that feature (although I read some reviews on it where they aren't too happy with it - this was tested with firmware 1.8 so it could have been resolved already though I can't find a review on firmware 1.9 for that controller)

Now, I promissed to tell why in hell I would choose for a controller without sound interface. I own a Creamware Powerpulsar 15DSP audio card and by the looks of it I will have a second one soon (lol, even more overkill but 300 euro or 428,79 USD for such a card is just a bargain).

However, in the past I used my computer for both digital music as for any other activities like chatting, gaming, etc. So the computer was also equipped with a more suitable soundcard for gaming (EAX), namely the SoundBlaster Audigy! When I decided to keep myself occupied with digital music I went to device manager and disabled that SoundBlaster Audigy. When I then booted Scope Fusion Platform or when I was routing in it, it occured several times the whole package just froze or decided to close to the desktop. At a certain moment we decided to get rid of that SoundBlaster Audigy and just stick to the Creamware Powerpulsar card with SFP 4.0 and I never encountered that same problem again.
    What I wish to say with all of this is that I don't question Reloop's audio interface but I do question why I should buy something which could prove to be a problem and I don't intend to use in the first place anyway hence why I would not hesitate a minute to buy the Denon HC4500 if I didn't had a good audio card (and maybe two soon)!

Now, all of this is getting us a bit off track. All I wished to know was if the VCI-100 would do the job, why it is so cheap compared to the original Vestax version without the improvements and is 7bit midi indeed the weak spot of the device and should it prove to be a problem for someone who will work with just as few hardware as possible (except I still need darn good monitors for around 450 USD but still need to convince my better half first...hehe)

Greetz,
    Gunther.
    Last edited by WarCable; 12-21-2009 at 11:37 PM.

As far as price goes Gunther,

Here in AUS the VCI-100 is around $800 AUD at best!

I can pay for shipping and do the conversion to USD through DJTT and STILL have $100+ to spare with a better controller than what I would be paying $800 for!

That's all I can really contribute into this thread!
    MixCloud

Mac Mini w/2GB Ram + Traktor 1.2 + BCD3000 + 61 Midi Keyboard + Samson Q1U

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast