Club Residency - Anyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Club Residency - Anyone?

Does anyone have a residency at a club? Just curious to know how you came about it.

- do you promote your own night?
    - what's involved in doing that?
    (tickets, flyers, advertising...etc)

I know its a pretty vague question but, I'm trying to learn more about going about this.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I've had a few residencies at club events. The most recent being Asylum Guild, which I am taking a small sabbatical from to get my head straight. Travelling to Manhattan every week is starting to really get to me.

I got this residency the old fashioned way. I was moving down to Jersey from Albany, left all the club nights I was working on there, and e-mailed ALL over the area. I had a demo recorded that I sent around, and one of the guys I sent it to was this DJ at Asylum Guild. They liked it, invited me for a guest spot, and I spun. The downside was that I was spinning during the Skinny Puppy after-party (if you guys don't know Skinny Puppy, you should)... while Skinny Puppy was STILL playing. That night I did a DJ battle with their "star" DJ (my good friend, now, Jai). We were talking shit to each other in a playful manner. He was talking about how no one was up for battling him and I laughed in his face. He challenged me. It was cute. I looked at my friend and rolled my eyes, he looked at his friend and rolled his eyes. He was guaging it by my set, which, to be fair, was really fuckin weird. I was playing really obscure breakbeat-metal (Drumcorps) and Celldweller, Angelspit, bizarre dance music. So we did a back and forth, two tracks a piece and we matched each other track for track. It was fun. They wanted to have me back.

Eventually two of their residents quit (one for 'retirement' and the other for military duty) and they asked me to join.

So, I did what I had to do. I went to all their parties, hung out with them, talked them up, myself up, promoted, did what I had to do.

Yes, I promote the night. It's a delicate balance, though. Hand fliers are best, but I can't be the only one passing them out to people. I work with three other guys, thankfully, but even then there are limitations. The internet works wonders but it's limited. You only find those people who you know to ask (that sign up for LJ communities, join MySpace groups/friends, are on forums). Street promotion still, to me, is key, but it's so hard to do, what with the day job, the desire to practice and eat, and life responsibilities. Fliers are fucking expensive.

The key is to make yourself known, either as a DJ or as an event. It's different for me cause the clubs and events I work for are really small right now. I'm working with some people to bring the udnerground back to NYC, but it's rough, what with prices and a general apathy. But if you get your name out (demo's, remixes, mix'd CDs, fliers, business cards, etc.) and rub shoulders with people in charge (buy DJs drinks, talk to them, get their info, see if you can get pointers, etc.) you'll get yourself there.

Feel free to ask more.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I've had a few residencies at club events. The most recent being Asylum Guild, which I am taking a small sabbatical from to get my head straight. Travelling to Manhattan every week is starting to really get to me.

I got this residency the old fashioned way. I was moving down to Jersey from Albany, left all the club nights I was working on there, and e-mailed ALL over the area. I had a demo recorded that I sent around, and one of the guys I sent it to was this DJ at Asylum Guild. They liked it, invited me for a guest spot, and I spun. The downside was that I was spinning during the Skinny Puppy after-party (if you guys don't know Skinny Puppy, you should)... while Skinny Puppy was STILL playing. That night I did a DJ battle with their "star" DJ (my good friend, now, Jai). We were talking shit to each other in a playful manner. He was talking about how no one was up for battling him and I laughed in his face. He challenged me. It was cute. I looked at my friend and rolled my eyes, he looked at his friend and rolled his eyes. He was guaging it by my set, which, to be fair, was really fuckin weird. I was playing really obscure breakbeat-metal (Drumcorps) and Celldweller, Angelspit, bizarre dance music. So we did a back and forth, two tracks a piece and we matched each other track for track. It was fun. They wanted to have me back.

Eventually two of their residents quit (one for 'retirement' and the other for military duty) and they asked me to join.

So, I did what I had to do. I went to all their parties, hung out with them, talked them up, myself up, promoted, did what I had to do.

Yes, I promote the night. It's a delicate balance, though. Hand fliers are best, but I can't be the only one passing them out to people. I work with three other guys, thankfully, but even then there are limitations. The internet works wonders but it's limited. You only find those people who you know to ask (that sign up for LJ communities, join MySpace groups/friends, are on forums). Street promotion still, to me, is key, but it's so hard to do, what with the day job, the desire to practice and eat, and life responsibilities. Fliers are fucking expensive.

The key is to make yourself known, either as a DJ or as an event. It's different for me cause the clubs and events I work for are really small right now. I'm working with some people to bring the udnerground back to NYC, but it's rough, what with prices and a general apathy. But if you get your name out (demo's, remixes, mix'd CDs, fliers, business cards, etc.) and rub shoulders with people in charge (buy DJs drinks, talk to them, get their info, see if you can get pointers, etc.) you'll get yourself there.

Feel free to ask more.

great story! - I'm curious to know, when you promote your own night, where is your revenue coming from?

- ticket / entrance sales?
    - owners of the club pay you?
    - selling your mix cd's on that night?

hahahaha... revenue... hahahaha

That's funny.

So... I think in the 3 years I've been DJing regularly, including the few concerts I've booked, I've walked away with... MAYBE two thousand dollars. MAYBE. Now that's not including money spent on CDs, gear, fliers, gas, transportation, etc. etc. etc.. Keep in mind my situation, though. I'm working in a very small underground scene without a lot of help from people. I'm one of the few that I know who has a job, let alone a job that pays more than $15/hour. Now I also work in one of the most expensive cities in the world, so... yay!

The money I have made comes from different sources depending on the venue/arrangement. I've found the best arrangement to be 100% take on the entrance, venue takes 100% of the bar. The club I regularly work in, and am now taking a break from, only gives us 20% from the bar in the room we spin at. It's a bad deal cause it's a small bar with one bartender. The upstairs is a larger bar, better selection, and more bartenders. We lose quite a bit of money that way.

I also refuse to sell my mix CDs. They are a promotional tool for me, and the bands I spin/promote, and I have no right to sell them. The hope is that people will hear the mixes, talk about it and come out to hear me spin, therefore making me more money in the process.

A lot of this, for me, is a losing venture regardless of what I do. I've lost thousands of dollars, not even accounting for time spent, and will lose more. I do this cause I love it. Am I doing this the smartest way? of course not. But if I turn this isnot a serious business, start DJing hip-hop and weddings, I'll slowly lose my mind, and my passion :-)
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    So... I think in the 3 years I've been DJing regularly, including the few concerts I've booked, I've walked away with... MAYBE two thousand dollars.
    Post of the month! Thank you for sharing.

:-) Isn't in encouraging?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

i have a brand new house event every friday, i knew the manager of the place a little bit and told him about my idea and their possibilities of making better profits in the bar. im educated in graphics design so i could therefore present a whole package with poster, flyers etc. i do all the promoting myself, sometimes with help from the staff and i do ofcourse get paid to do it. first night was last friday and they made a record sale, so now im even more exited about next time.

the entrance is free, and i could never dream about taking payment for other peoples music = my mixes!
    deephouse mix click here
    bangin' house mix click here
    VCI-100SE arcade button mod pictures here
    myspace/runehund
    doggydog.net

Quote Originally Posted by VoOFA View Post
    i have a brand new house event every friday, i knew the manager of the place a little bit and told him about my idea and their possibilities of making better profits in the bar. im educated in graphics design so i could therefore present a whole package with poster, flyers etc. i do all the promoting myself, sometimes with help from the staff and i do ofcourse get paid to do it. first night was last friday and they made a record sale, so now im even more exited about next time.

the entrance is free, and i could never dream about taking payment for other peoples music = my mixes!
    So your danish like me

Where is this House night? I'm guessing Aarhus...

wow depending on which scene i wish to play to i get $50-$100 nz a night. not too shabby. this is lil old new zealand tho...
    Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Kaon, none of that has to do with drum and bass.

The problem with music is that everyone thinks that you do it for the love of it and should give it out for free, not something i quite agree with as musicians need to eat and have a roof over their heads too. So its very very hard to make even $2000 in 3 years and i congratulate you for that I hope all your hard work eventually pays off more for you !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast