Twister LED lag in macOS Monterey

Default Twister LED lag in macOS Monterey

Hey,

Weird thing has been happening with my Twister. I have not used it since a few months ago, now I'm exclusively on Mac so I cannot test this on Windows nor Linux.

It has the 02 Oct 2019 firmware. I have tested it in my M1 MacBook Air and an iMac Pro, both with Monterey 12.2.1, no DAW running, either nothing or the Midifighter Utility.

So, LED feedback is laggy if the Midifighter Utility software is not running. The LEDs take like 0.2 or 0.3 seconds to update, so very noticeable in every case. It happens with the ring LEDs and with the button (coloured one), in all encoders, and also when changing pages. Nothing of this happens when the app is running.

It does not matter if you connect the hardware before or after launching the Utility. After launching, it will take 3 or 4 seconds to start being smooth. After closing the Utility, it will too take 3 or 4 seconds before being laggy again.

Weird stuff, looks like the OS is polling the hardware if it is not used by the Utility, or something like that, and the micro in the Twister is unable to process so much info.

Cheers,
    Jorge

OK, so I got an idea and after 2 min of testing, this is solved and probably not a bug.

The lag only happens when no app is using the device. I tried opening FL Studio and then it does not happen, and the device works perfectly as intended.

So it looks like a low power mode, or something similar. Might still be tied to the OS, I cannot test that unfortunately, although I don't remember it happening a year ago in my Windows 10 machine.

So yeah, interesting stuff

BTW thanks to DJ Tech Tools for this great device, love it.