Hiphop advise requested
    Tech Wizard

Default Hiphop advise requested

Hello everyone,

In a few weeks I might be DJing at the corporate party of my work and so I am preparing a crate with silly pop music. Of the Barby Girl, Spicegirls, Vengaboys type. I also want to include a few hiphop songs in order to attempt to please anyone interested in that genre, but I personally don't listen to hiphop and don't have many hiphop songs either.

The only two hiphop songs included in my crate currently are Eminem's Slim Shady (it's silly pop music afterall) which my Serato has at a key of 5A and a tempo of 104 BPM. I also have House op Pain's Jump Around which according to Serato is 9A and 106 BPM. So I am looking for a minimum of three hiphop pop songs that fill the gap between 5A and 9A and that are in the 105 to 110 BPM range.

Would anyone advise me a couple of hiphop pop songs that I could use?

Much appreciated!

Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

Hey Keithace,
    Thanks for replying! It's not though that I need to know a general list of hiphop songs, I know just about enough from the hiphop that you here on the radio that I have a general idea of songs that I would play. I need to know more specifically songs that actually match. I've found songs in matching key, but not matching BPM's or matching BPM's but incompatible keys. It's difficult finding songs that both match in key and tempo.

Why are you limiting yourself with mixing in key? I've been playing for 30 years and the last thing I worry about is what key a track is in.

Hard cuts work well in rap and hip hop.

Tech Wizard

Although I don't know a lot about hiphop, I do know that hard cuts are used often while mixing hiphop so perhaps mixing in key is less important.
    Yet, I do notice that key matched mixes sound better and so I would like to mix these hiphop tunes in key as well.

when you change the pitch you change the key. Unless you are mixing songs that are all built with the same bpm and key it doesn't matter.

He’s probably right.