Beginner Equipment Recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Beginner Equipment Recommendations

Hi,

I am looking to get a cheap (up to $250) mixer that is similar to the Vestax Spin sold by Apple. I have never done any kind of DJ'ing before and really just want to mess around and have some fun with my music. I am using an HP Laptop running Windows 7.

I would like to be able to control two mp3 tracks and control the following from the mixer:

Scratching
    Speed
    Looping
    Multiple Cue’s
    Sound FX
    Microphone
    Headphone Previewing

Basically, I am looking for a setup that will provide the same functionality of as the Vestax Spin but on a PC. Please recommend a hardware/software combination from the following that will suit me best:

Hercules DJ Console MK2
    Numark Stealth Control
    Numark Total Control
    ION Audio iCUE
    Behringer BCD3000 B-Control DJ Mixer
    Behringer BCD2000 B-Control Deejay

Tech Guru

you could probably get the spin to work on a pc to be honest

However if you want to get into DJ'in in a dirt cheap way get yourself a cheap multi out sound card off ebay. A midi keyboard. Startin out I would recomend the oxygen 8. and a real 2 channel mixer. I know this isnt quite what your looking for but I think this would be a better setup as you will learn alot more and have a setup thatr you can build and expand on. If you look round ebay you should be able to pick all this up for around 100quid/dollars.

If a all in one type controller is rerly what you want I would recomend the Hercules rmx at this price point can pick one up for about 200. This gives you almost as many options as the vci 100. good build quality. Its not on par but almost there. DONT GO FOR THE NUMARK TOTAL CONTROL. It is a pile of poo just pick one up and u will see y

id just say get the Hercules and the free version of traktor.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

none of your mentioned preferred controllers are that good or have all those functions. they especially lack accurate response on cueing and accurate scratching. i cant really think of a cheap controller thats fits all your requirements. VC100 would be the closest thing i could think of thats not horribly expensive, (again the scratching on a vci100 is not very good..but..eh..whatever)
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

numark stealth...

Tech Guru

The rmx isnt that good for scratching but no midi controller is rerly. Nothing comes close to real vinyl the stanton scs decks are good but very expensive. Better response and feel for scratching than a cdj 1000 in my eyes

The stealth is a big improvement on previous numark controllers and i do think theme including a encoder in the middle is a smart move.

Cueing response with a good laptop should be 5ms or less so cue response should not be a issue

You say about features but you can give a controller any feature you want that is the beatuty of controllers rather than old mixer that you where stuck with wat u got. If you want to add fader start you can if you want four deck control you can

vci-300 if the scratching is key

Behringer BCD3000 if budget is key
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Student

Thanks for all the answers. I am really only going to be doing this for fun and I just want something cheap to mess around with. If the Numark Stealth had headphone monitoring functionality I would go with that but instead I have narrowed it down to these two choices:

-Hercules DJ Console MK2

-Behringer BCD3000 B-Control DJ Mixer

Which of these is a better overall product (ease of use / features)? Are there any clear favorites as far as what software to use?

Thanks!
    Last edited by espett; 12-27-2009 at 06:54 PM.

Tech Mentor

The hercules is better-ish... I know of a few mobile djs that use it without problems, and at least hercules had the common decency to put the eqs in a vertical arrangement instead of a horizontal one.

I say ish because they're both, well cheap. But if all you want to do is mess around, it'll be fine

Tech Guru

TRAKTOR all the way. you will need at least 500 to get going with serato but rerly for that your looking more like 1 grand. Virtual dj is rubbish in my opionon. All the effects are rubbish. it does support video though. And its sound card routing is rubbish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast