Any benefits from using 2 soundcards?

Default Any benefits from using 2 soundcards?

I previously had a Behringer BCD2000 and used to play at gigs using it's built-in audio interface which I routed into the main mixer. Suffice to say my sound was thin and grainy compared to that of other DJs.

Now I have Reloop's Digital Jockey 2, with it's very own interface, which I have yet to test at gigs. I was wondering if I would get any benefits by routing it's output into a Lexicon Alpha's inputs and the latter's outputs into the stage mixer.

Am I right in guessing I will at least get some extra punch?

i think it will just add the possibility of interference & noise by having the sound go through the D/A converters on the reloop, then going A/D on the second soundcard followed by another D/A conversion out to the mixer.

I would recommend sticking with the internal soundcard or not using it and using an external soundcard with the reloop

good luck
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

Maybe I should've mentioned I use this setup (with the two soundcards) at home with no issues yet.
    Last edited by zgomot; 12-28-2009 at 09:16 AM.

again, i don't see how there can be more punch from the combo then by just using the last soundcard in the chain. edit unless you are percieving the added D/A A/D D/A converter noise as more punchy.

could you be more descriptive on how you are doing this on the software side? ie soundcard settings

i'm a little confused how you are doing this on one computer (if that is the case)

It's really simple really. I have both interfaces connected via USB to my PC. Sound is coming out of the Reloop RCA outputs, then into TRS inputs of the Alpha then into the XLR inputs of my (active) monitors.

I'm just using the last soundcard in the chain as a sort of pre-amp before the sound reaches my speakers, unless there's something I'm missing here.

edit: I think by punchier I actually mean louder.
    Last edited by zgomot; 12-28-2009 at 10:28 AM.

and traktor sound settings are setup for the reloop right?

I think what maybe going on here is that some soundcards do have amplify settings for their inputs, for example on my presonus firebox i can amp the inputs by 10db. or maybe in a sense the second soundcard is acting like a RCA to XLR converter that is adding some volume

have you tried just using the second soundcard (setup in traktor) as your only soundcard and see if it still sounds louder?

i'm guessing it is a louder card then the one in the reloop to begin with.

the firebox output is hot hot hot!

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    and traktor sound settings are setup for the reloop right?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by charo View Post
    have you tried just using the second soundcard (setup in traktor) as your only soundcard and see if it still sounds louder?
    I can't because that only has one stereo output, so I wouldn't be able to monitor in my headphones.