So i freaked out for a second
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So i freaked out for a second

Got a bit of a gig (mates birthday in private club function) in 48hrs.
    Selectively went through a whole bunch of tracks and dragged them into traktor so i could sort them tomorrow night.

decided hey... i havn't backed up my traktor folder recently so i probably should do that.
    I close traktor, copy the traktor 3 folder from my documents to my server then open traktor again to find the following bug: http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...d.php?p=400306

At this point i cursed NI's name, almost broke the headphones i was previewing on and had brief thoughts about throwing the laptop out the door down the stairs. Then i found that thread and had an idea....

luckily about three weeks ago i bought a $65 laptop hard drive and imaged my whole drive to it which included the settings file that was pretty much 100% perfect. Since this was the only thing stuffed i swapped out the drive in the laptop and copied the good settings folder to a usb stick.
    Then swapped the drives back and restored the settings file to the original drive.

Traktor ran fine again.
    Moral of the story - Backup, because software can be downright shit without warning!

The reason i bought that drive in the first place was because for the sake of $65 if i have that plus a small screwdriver at the event and my hard drive decides to die - i'm prepared

Cool bro' had to leave MSN in a hurry, but glad you found out what could be done to have you dj as normal again!!!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Its possible to have a XP partion run on a thumb drive for near instant backup in case of total hard drive failure at show Its really not likely to happen but if your the dj who wants to be prepared for ww3 its an option

Cool suggestion Bro'!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Its possible to have a XP partion run on a thumb drive for near instant backup in case of total hard drive failure at show Its really not likely to happen but if your the dj who wants to be prepared for ww3 its an option
    This is a great idea. I don't use USB keys very often, I only have one and use it to give songs to other people (right now it's with a friend). I just realised though that they're getting quite large, mine is 4 GB and it only cost $20 CDN on sale, a while ago.

I guess you could backup all of your critical data and more on that!

My dad just bought the Sony 8Gb stick for 16 euros.

btw the gig went really really well.

So much so that i was offered the chance to mix at one of the biggest clubs in brisbane.
    But as i found out earlier that night, they don't allow laptop dj's, only cd or vinyl.

So when i was asked if i wanted to dj there - i told the guy i couldn't cause i use a laptop. He said "oh right you use a laptop"

i found out the reason was they like the dj's to be visibly doing the traditional things.
    Major bummer cause im totally sick of my day job

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

I hate those people, Wuz. You're good and that's all that matters.

PS: I'm totally sick of my day job too
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

These people need to be taught the ways of the digital
    obviously (for us anyway) there is alot that digital artists can bring to a crowd - as controllerists its our job to inform and show the world this fact
    So feeling for you right now Wuz

maybe i should drop thousands of dollars on a cdj setup and traktor scratch and rock up there with that and use the cdj's as glorified midi controllers :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast