New Laptop - Recommendations
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Laptop - Recommendations

Hello folks, my first post in here.
    Just wanted to ask my digital djing friends, whether they could give me some hints when it comes to buying a new laptop.
    I want to buy it in the next couple of weeks and currently i am asking myself which one to buy.
    I know this questions rises the topic of Macbook vs. X .
    Since a macbook is too expensive for me to buy right now and i dont want to wait any longer, i was thinking which laptop models are recommended by you within a price range of 1200$.
    I must say that i live in Germany and for that price you cannot get any Macbook Pro over here.
    I know this is a frequently asked question but i have made use of the search function and lately there were not many threads about this topic.
    I am sure there are non-Macbook users who can give me some tips when it comes to performance or functionality.

My setup : M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Vestax VCI-100
    Traktor Pro

Looking forward to your feedback and have a nice sunday !
    KADKAD
    Last edited by KADKAD; 12-27-2009 at 12:41 PM.

Personally, I use a custom HP computer. This newer one looks great; it has the new i7 quadcore processor, which apple only offers in their most prestigious iMac, and its only $999 for the 15.6 inch, and $1069 for the 17.3 inch
    http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh.../dv6tqe_series
    EDIT: and if you're not in any rush, i would recommend adding memory. you can get 8gb instead of 4gb of RAM for just $200 more, which makes it $1200.
    Last edited by BigBen7310; 12-27-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    DJBK - 18 yr old DJ from NY -Asus G74SX w/ Core i7 2630QM 12GB RAM -DDM4000 -TTXUSB -DN-S1200 -MPD32 - Novation Twitch (custom mapped for road gigs)

"It’s not love for music, it’s a passion, and it goes beyond liking, and beyond a hobby, it’s about a way of living… Music is essential for my life." - Armin Van Buuren

If you would like to get a PC rather than a mac, for price purposes or just comfort with windows, i would recommend an Acer Aspire One. great pc.
    Durty Harry
    13" Macbook Pro, Numark TTXUSB, Vestax VMC002XLU (upgraded to cf-pcv crossfader,) Vestax PMC-05 PRO III, Audio 4 DJ, Kontrol X1, Traktor Scratch Duo. -----WWW.LABWERXDJS.NET-----

well the hp is an option , but the quad version here still costs 999 € which would exceed my budget..
    the acer aspire one is not an option. i dont think the netbook will be enough for applications like traktor pro or ableton live, especially when they need to be running for 5-6 hours, and also disregarding the small screen size..
    what else can you recommend to buy? what about vaios, toshibas, i guess some of you are using them ..

Tech Wizard

Could you not get a normal MacBook for that price?? Especially if you could claim student discount? The MacBook matches the specs of the entry level MacBook Pro pretty much.

Having said this I know the new Windows 7 is very good but I got the entry level MacBook pro and I honestly wouldn't consider buying a Windows machine ever again.. unless Apple did somthing drastically wrong between now and my next computer purchase, it would have to be very drastic though!
    Last edited by jainsy; 12-27-2009 at 06:06 PM.
    2 x Technics 1210 mk2, 2 x Ortofon Concorde Pro S, Ecler Nuo 2.0, Sennheiser HD-25 II, VCI-100 SE, Audio 8 DJ, Traktor Scratch Pro

http://soundcloud.com/jainsy/jainsy-...from-this-week

Tech Guru
    Baked Chicken | Brown Rice | Asparagus | Apple Juice | Snack Wells | Pretzel Chips | Lots of Water

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by xtianw View Post
    That should be a sticky!
    2 x Technics 1210 mk2, 2 x Ortofon Concorde Pro S, Ecler Nuo 2.0, Sennheiser HD-25 II, VCI-100 SE, Audio 8 DJ, Traktor Scratch Pro

i could get the 899 € macbook white for 820 €with student bonus, but it will cost me again 80 € to upgrade to 4gb ram , so it wont change much..
    i dont feel comfortable with using mac os x so :l
    also its a little to pricey for a 13 " laptop that does not have fire wire, and a slow graphic card ..
    @xtianw your tips are no option for me since, i am leaving in germany and dont want to get in trouble with terms of warranty etc. ..

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by KADKAD View Post
    @xtianw your tips are no option for me since, i am leaving in germany and dont want to get in trouble with terms of warranty etc. ..
    Thats the beauty of Apple, you wont get into any trouble with the warrenty.
    Wherever in the world you are you can just pop into an Apple store and they will sort you out. Their warrenties are not bound by country, literally go anywhere and your in safe hands.

Being a student you can get the extended 3 year cover for £50 as opposed to £200, not sure how that equates to in euros.

I had never used a Mac before i made my purchase so I understand your comments about being uncomfortable about OS X, it is so intuitive though, give yourself a couple of weeks and you will be asking why you didnt switch earlier. Sorry, you can tell that I bum apple now, maybe I am a bit bias!

Also with $1200 you could get the MacBook Pro and upgrade the extra ram?

thank you for your feedback everyone ! but i think we are disregarding the fact that my budget of 800€ is really max. and the apple is not really an option
    maybe we could focus on other brands , which will not only meet my price range, but also will be a secure choice for me..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast