Breaks track finished "Rise"

Default DUTTYLECTRiC - the rise tune (heavy breaks), update

When I started to play around with producing about half a year ago, I really wanted to produce Breaks bangers but wasn't able to create anything decent for a long time. While this by far isn't what I am aiming for, I am very happy with the result.

Theres no Mixdown/Mastering on this. Hope it sounds okay. If you like it - grab the 320 from soundcloud and let me know!

I am grateful for any kind of feedback.

the audio clips on the soundcloud format for whatever reason - download the 320 for maximum quality!
    Last edited by illstep; 02-07-2010 at 08:50 PM.

Damn that bass sits nicely in the mix dude.

Depending on what you're after, you might want to bring ut the drums more? Some compression might not hurt

Also I dunno if 8½ minutes is a tad long for this loop? I'm struggling with this myself - dragging out one good for too long, so the track I'm working on right now has three separate and different "sections" I'll spread out and work with... just a thought
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Tech Guru

alright, so I'm in no way a production whizz, or even an amateur. haha. so here is my unprofessional opinion.

Its hard for me to distinguish between your bass line and your kicks. Idk whats causing this exactly, but I think it might be because your kicks lack a sufficient body? Like, they dont have a click on the attack. Like Janzak said, you might want to throw some compression on there. Since your kick pattern doesnt really change, you can make a phantom kick track, and sidechain compress your bass to that (just a little, not overly). this will let the kicks breath a little I think. Again, I am very much a beginner in the production world.

i didnt like how it came out and reworked the composition today. every comment is greatly appreciated!
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

sounds great dude. good job!
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

yeah, sounds really nice! some proper improvements since the last version of that tune!

MBP, 10.5.6, TPro 2.0.1, Kontrol S4, VCI-300, a bunch of other makes-nerds-happy-stuff
    ...and still haven't got the heart to get rid of my Turntables, Mixer and my Vinyls
    Reggae, Ragga, Dancehall, Chill Out, Dubstep, Breaks, Drum & Bass

so downloading this

got a bit of a stanton warrior vibe going on.

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

Quote Originally Posted by BradCee View Post
    so downloading this

got a bit of a stanton warrior vibe going on.
    i love that comment since stanton warriors are really my idol when it comes to producing breaks. i love how their sound is clean and simple. stanton was right after the freestylers what got me into breaks.
    "its not designed to impress mozart ffs its meant for ppl to rave out to." - unknown
    LAZERNOIZE Latest Gig Recording (50Min. of Trap+Dubstep)

Quote Originally Posted by Duttylectric View Post
    i love that comment since stanton warriors are really my idol when it comes to producing breaks. i love how their sound is clean and simple. stanton was right after the freestylers what got me into breaks.
    was it the first (and imho still best) stanton sessions disc? it was that and the plump djs for me

Win 7 / 2x Reloop Contour / Numark M6 /Traktor Pro 2.5
    SoundCloud

I think this is a good start!
    Be nice to here some more variation in the bassline: get some modulation running across the sound to keep the texture moving! and get some more notes on the go.. doesn't need loads, maybe a diff note towards the end of the bar or something.

I think you could get a loop or two running behind the track to make the drums more exciting: try to find some old breakbeats - get 'em to the right tempo and cut a bit of bass off to keep them from muddying up your track.
    Then just let them run under the main sections.

Also, bass wise. split the frequencys on the part.
    So duplicate the bass channel, midi etc (however it's running) and put an e.q as the last thing on each channel.
    1st e.q set with a filter so only frequencys below 100hz are allowed through.
    2nd e.q, do the oppisite! so only freqs ABOVE 100hz come through.

1st channel leave as is.
    2nd channel, change note lengths every so often, modulate with filters,, etc - just have a play and get some more texture goin on!