Thinking about moving out to California
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Banned

Default Thinking about moving out to California

My girl wants to move out to California now that she's finished with school, and I myself wouldn't mind moving out that way as well. Wisconsin winters are starting to be a drag.

What's the current climate like out there DJ wise? Lots of gigs available? What's the current trends? Where would be a good place to move to?

Any and all input, advice and suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!

dont go to LA, whatever you do. Bay area and San Diego for sure, im from SD and love it here. decent DJ climate not too big but workable, less expensive then Bay but still not cheap.

71 on xmas.

Tech Mentor

In LA 99% its all club type gigs, were you mainly spin hip hop. If you like to spin that and dont mind, then go for it. Another thing to consider, its tough here cause the promoters are hollywood pricks.
    Thank Ya!!!

Banned

Thanks for the input guys. LA seems like the most likely choice right now though because my girl is receiving her great uncles house in his will. But I myself would love to hit up SD from everything I'm hearing.

Any other insights? I thought more people were from these areas from the looks of it on here.

Tech Wizard

It is expensive. Thats the biggest problem, that and gas- considering you're stuck in LA traffic 80% of the time. Also you really have to get an in with someone already in the dj community to book gigs - at least in my experience, it really comes down to connections. Also as they mentioned above mostly spinning top 40 / hip hop, however there are a few clubs i know of that spin house/deep house/electro.
    If you like you can PM me and I'll give you an IM you can ask me any questions about living here, I've lived in california my whole life

OT but where in Wi are u? didn't know there were others here

if u spin dnb, send me a demo and i can see what i can do about gettin u into a gig or two to get ur feet wet. there is also the rave circuit, but be prepared to travel. actually, be prepared to travel no matter what. la is a sprawl and gigs are everywhere either way, i lemme peep a mix and ill see what i can do for u
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

O what i mean by everywhere is expect to travel anywhere from San Luis Obispo to San Diego to the Antelope Valley to San Bernardino for gigs. We're talking a 200 mile radius from the heart of Hollyweird. Obviously, we wouldn't book you for farther gigs without proper compensation/accomodations, but this is pretty much the norm for the underground here... it sucks, i know, but on the plus side, u meet a ton of interesting people. This doesn't happen every weekend (it could if you're lucky) but the best way to get exposure is to travel. Anyways, like i said, can't do much without hearing a mix and a bio. shoot me a msg on myspace or something and we'll chat. o, and check out plurlife.com if you're planning on moving out here. post some mixes and spam friend invites. it's a little candy kid heavy, but those are your bread and butter.
    facebook.com/fkdmusic
    soundcloud.com/fkdmusic
    lethaltalent.com

Tribal Rites feat Kate Lesing on Soundcloud.

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

California is the best choice you can make, people are just happy there.
    & im very surprised nones mentioned the booming electro scene yet.

It's culture is rich, no matter what your taste.
    you can learn to adapt as a dj or put out good enough music to re-shape the place,
    either way cali is the pace to do it.

Is california filled with those type of people seen in The hills, The city and those kind of shows or is that just a stereotype?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast