Sysex App for Windows? (BCR 2000 + VCI 100 problem)

Default Sysex App for Windows? (BCR 2000 + VCI 100 problem)

Cheers guys, planning to use a BCR 2000 with a VCI 100 tomorrow night, but the BC Edit app doesn't work when trying to load an edited preset back into the controller, apparently because they've programmed some non-ASCII characters into the code (or something like that)...

I just need to set the default preset to transmit on another MIDI channel so it won't clash with the VCI 100, what's the safest and easiest method to do this? I can still export the sysex data which I already edited, just need some other app to push it into the device.

Or, should I use a MIDI translator? What would you recommend?

Hey SuperKokot,

Do you have the proper JAVA version installed on your PC/mac?

BC Edit should be up for the job, but you have to make sure you have the proper firmware and BC Edit combination.

I first did a complete dump of all the presets present on the BCR so it was completely cleaned. After this I uploaded the Mackie Control preset to it, by making use of BC Edit.

While working in Ableton and Traktor, I found out that often it is quicker to adjust the knobs and buttons behavior on the BCR itself.

This is a little bit tricky to start off with, but after you have done some knob twisting you will get the hang of it.

So look at the buttons/ knobs you would like to use in channel two

Actions:
    1. Press and hold the edit button,
    2. Twist or Press the knob/button,
    3. Release Edit button
    4. Twist 2nd rotary off the encoder row, which is marked 'CH' until it reads 2 or more.
    5. Press Store
    6. Wait for a second
    7. Press Store for a second time.

Keep repeating these steps for all buttons/knobs you'd like to assign to another channel.

Next step is remapping the BCR in the software.

Hope this is of any use to you.

If you need more help on modifying your BCRs settings, just let me know!
    Really, you don't need any translator at this point.

(You could also look at the BCR2000 group at yahoo, the offer all kinds of sysex and Edit software)
    Last edited by tekki; 09-11-2008 at 08:01 AM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

That's great info, thanks very very much!! I have a new Windows system as I migrated to the laptop, I installed the latest Java Runtine Environment v6u7. Before I had a very early version of this JRE, do you think that might be the catch? Behringer recommends JRE version TWO, which is...very old.

True that, but so is the BCR.

But you might try the apps present in this Yahoo! BCx2000 discussion group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bc2000
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

I personally use a combination of midi-ox and bomes midi pro for changing channels on devices.

True that, but with the BCR this can all be arranged by itself.

I just found this golden stuff via another forum, a bunch of BCR 2000 Editors on that link. Will be giving it a try:

BCManager

* Windows graphical editing, help manual included
    * No more buggy java editor from the company that does not work, no more err22!
    * Easy access to many advanced features of the BC(X)2000.
    o Assigning controllers
    o Managing presets
    o Managing bank of presets
    o Efficient communication with the BCR
    o Access to remaping extra buttons
    o Allows for sysex assignment of knobs and buttons
    o Clear editing of sysex assigned messages
    o Capture of sysex strings for other devices to enable remote control of external devices.
    o Copy and paste of items (buttons and knobs) for easy moving around for a rearrangement of a preset to meet your needs, ergonomically.
    o Access to resolution - to allow knob speed of turn effect how many value changes are sent. It is like acceleration based on how fast you turn the knob. Very cool!
    o Access to knob having multi functions - if turned clockwise and something else if counter clockwise or multiple functions on the same knob using sysex commands.
    * Very specific and detailed manual included, written by the developer.
    * Active development - version 1.5.0 released July 17, 2008.
    * Just go get it and play with it.

Good luck with that, I'm sure you'll be liking it as much as I did.