Moldover Live at LoveTechSF

Default Moldover Live at LoveTechSF

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Man.... that first tune was a bit... super painful, but it got a lot better from there on out. I didn't know moldover was also a guitarist, and a talented one at that. I dunno. I kinda feel like, its not controllerism anymore? more like, a guitarist playing with his fx boxes, with his hands, rather than his feet? Idk. I feel like, he could do great things, but gets a little caught up with the just, twiddling for the sake of twiddling.

Tech Guru

I'd say that makes him every bit more a musician.

Tech Wizard

I've seen many of his vids and he's def got some seriously clever ideas. The dude is a wank though.

His songs are like watching a one man circle jerk. He falls into that same category for me as bands like Dream Theater. Where the clever ideas can't turn themselves into good music due to his head being rammed too far up his own ass.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mmauve View Post
    I'd say that makes him every bit more a musician.
    Your right, it does.... but, where as what he was doing with controllerism is highly innovative, and pushing the limit of pre recorded music, adding live sound to it... is like copping out kinda. Because... I mean, what he was doing with the guitar was nothing innovative... It was just playing (and decent playing at that I might add). But when you have all the power of ableton live at your fingers, and you decide to just play guitar, i dunno... its kind of disappointing.

I mean. lets look at buckethead's live show nowadays. He plays without a backing band atm, with prerecorded tracks, along with his guitar, a digitech wammy, a dunlop wah, and a proco rat, and a few other pieces of hardware effects. And he KILLS it. Seeing him live was like, ridic.

The point is I just feel that, being able to mess around with your essientially pre recorded backing band tracks... isnt really necessary . and playing guitar, when you are one of the best in messing around with backing tracks, is just hurting your show. I dunno. maybe its just cause the first track had no groove, or emotion, or even really great technical skill.

Edit
    dude, and Dream theater has plenty of good tracks haha, and even if you dont think so, they still have tons of albums, which means they are getting ideas somewhere.

Tech Guru

his shows look like a lot of fun. i love it when performers get the audience involved and switch things up a bit from the normal format, which he did well. but in all honesty i was pretty underwhelmed by the actual music side of things.

I'm sorry, but that first bit was fucking horrible. I could give a shit less about his custom controller and custom ableton plugins - musically, that first "song" was atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by summervest View Post
    I could give a shit less about his custom controller and custom ableton plugins - musically, that first "song" was atrocious.
    none of this is aimed at moldover!

i dont really think people give a shit about the 5 hours we put into midi mapping our shit or that cool custom controller we used (which no one can see in a dj booth lol). the music is what is important. those things are just tools that help us achieve our maximum creativity and should not be an excuse for playing crappy music.

Guys, let's keep it a little bit clean.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

first song was real bad, I agree.
    The rest wasn't my taste of music, very experimental though he plays guitar quite good