Asked to play dubstep gig, anything special I should know?

There is an inspirational type thread about a guy who hasnt used CDJ’s and getting along just fine mind you… Sod it, learn some Dubstep, play your set and see if you can fly by the seat of your pants. Baptism by fire!

To be fair CDJs are pretty easy to get around if you have any idea what you are doing on a DJ set up. What if he completely embarasses himself? He would lose face immediately and possible future gigs. 2 and a half hours of genre he is not familiar with is an eternity.

2 1/2 Hours is a lot…Maybe you’ve got a mate OP, who is Dub minded to bounce off?

Well I have almost three weeks to get ready and I feel like this is a good opportunity for me. The whole reason why I posted here was to get some info so I make my mix enjoyable for the crowd, and I don’t make a fool of myself. I’m already working on mixing some stuff and so far seems like something I could pull off. I set really high standards for myself and if in a week from now I feel like this isn’t something I could do well, I know a guy who I could pass it to. Who knows maybe this could turn into something I really enjoy.

I’m not saying I am going to turn it down, but I will if I need to. So far I think I will survive.

I really prefer mixing dubstep with long smooth transitions, I mainly enjoy deep dubstep, but I also use long transitions when mixing brosteppy emalkay and cookie monsta for example and I think I pull it off quite nicely.
Just saying there are other options out there and if you 're more comfortable with long or medium long transitions instead of short ons you should be able to use them.

Bonus general dubstep DJ advice:

  1. Get familiar with “the gunfinger” (view educational diagram A)
  2. Work on your bassface.
  3. When mixing dubstep don’t overdo your dancing, looking down at the mixer at bobbing your head slightly will suffice.
  4. Do not take this list too seriously :stuck_out_tongue:!

Educational diagram A:

beware - most dubstep songs are only 3-5mins long (on average). You may have to build up a library of 35+ songs for the 2 1/2 hour set…

sure it does fit, like deadmau5 stuff or similar
btw you still have to play some famous hits and vocal tracks so some people won’t bore out…

Christmas and new year just passed, a WHOLE lot of freebies and free EPs and such were given away the last few days. Grab those tunes !!!

Thanks for the heads up! Still going to be a task to go through it all, even w/ 3 weeks.