well, i guess it’s not something worth arguing about. imo learning everything is wise, so you’re gonna be fine encountering any situations and gears. i just wanna know people’s opinion towards the sync feature, since some fanatics who claimed themselves “experienced” or “real” are against using it.
Exactly where this thread DOESN’T need to go…
This made me miss using orion. Made a lot of sick tunes in that software.
I do both by ear and sync. In the end, it doesnt matter. Noone else will notice but you and the other DJ’s in the room. It’s about enjoying yourself. We do this for fun right. It is a good idea to know how to beatmatch by ear tho. Just in case your laptop crashes.
when i said fix mistakes, i meant enjoy a song so much i forget to cue the next track lolol
Manual beatmatching, ain’t got no sync on tt’s ![]()
This actually is not true. You can use sync in traktor. No sync on vinyl tho. ![]()
but if you have the skill it’s not actually. I’ve tried it on the 2000 nexus decks I picked up a few weeks ago. Overrated.
I agree. I personally think that beatmatching is more funner and less work than beatgridding tracks. Beatgridding feels like data entry to me.
Its also funny to hear younger DJs talk about ‘performance’ when they are doing anything but. Performance entails being able to make a mistake, which leads to dramatic tension. When a DJ has everything synced and quantised, there is no dramatic tension, no risk and no interest for me.
So many DJs these days are just product specialists in a particular type of software or controller, and are completely lost when they use another setup or their beatgrid fails.
Enh. I think it’s easier, 'cuz you only have to set the beatgrid once. It does take longer than beatmatching. And, believe me, I’ve gone back and forth over it. Still…doing a thing once per song and then never having to think about it again is easier than doing it every time I want to play a song.
Yeah…that’s why it’s a good skill to have.
That being said, there’s no reason a beatgrid should fail. I don’t think I’ve ever had it happen.
lol k. but why bother so much? let them give suggestions as long as it regards syncing and ear beatmatch..
but doesn’t every tune sound different? i sometimes find weird beatgrids and the tempo can’t be matched with pitch slider.
If you are playing electronic music with a constant 4/4 beat then the beatgrid works every time. If you are playing old 70’s type soul or anything with a live drummer that can’t keep a constant beat then they won’t work and sync isn’t for you.
that is true, i should have probably used a different word other then fix. but forgetting to cue up the next track could be considered one. oh well lol
they are constant 4beats each bar but some of them drop before 1 phrase, and its confusing me where to put the intro. i usually have troubles mixing outros though. i was saying that some particular songs have different tempo than the others.
OK, then this is an issue with your ability to phrase tracks and has nothing to do with your beatgrids. Being able to beatmatch isn’t going to help this either.
You just dont have the skill required. Any tune can be matched with the pitch slider if its in range.
Yeah…especially with the way you’re talking about intros and outros that makes no sense, I’m sure there’s at least a terminology gap here. Sounds like a pretty big knowledge/skill gap as well. Which is cool…we all started knowing basically nothing. But I’m not sure of this discussion is actually helping.
Some of the old school “electronic music” didn’t have very good sequencers either.
Just sayin…
true. that aside though… ![]()
totally. one ranges at about 128 and one ranges at about 98. ![]()