Oh, and I forgot.
For the best first event experience, make sure to not listen to any of sarasin’s advice.
Oh, and I forgot.
For the best first event experience, make sure to not listen to any of sarasin’s advice.
Also i’d think about how you’re going to monitor the sound… maybe have one of the speakers kind of near you, or again, ask the hire company about a monitor speaker ![]()
This. Definitely. At my very first house party, there was no monitor speaker and I was on CDJ’s so my beatmatching sounded like two deep voiced cats buttfucking eachother
thanks so much dudes!
the monitor speaker sounds like a good idea, I’ll ask.
And thankfully, they are setting up everything for me.
Hey!
My first time was BRILL!
Some flyers or cards with contact details on it and a sharpie so you can write down the name of any song you’re playing if people want to know and you get some free advertising.
And hats… lots of hats.
How did this gig go then?
yeah im curious to hear about it! +1 for getting a warehouse gig, they have federal laws about that in the US nowadays lol
At least 45 minutes, no more than 75 minutes.
I would take 30 minutes between sets, and if they have anything to say about it, remind them of your pay scale.
Hey the gig is on Friday!
Preparations are going well..
Just need to record a mix, however having distortion issues recording with my DDM-4000 back into traktor. Have tried different levels etc…
Is it unethical to use someone else’s mix if something fucks up and I have to use an Ipod?
I don’t mean to be the rude one here, but have you even done a gig yet? You are talking like an expert when only a couple months ago you were asking what kind of headphones/speakers are good for beginners. The points you make seem obviously true, but I just feel the need to be the devil’s advocate here.
Hey, experience and knowledge are 2 different things. Both are very important. But that sounds like some good advice to me.
its all good man. Yeah ive done a few parties over the past year with traktor (but with borrowed speakers)
I agree with what drew stated above
Gianmarco
My advice would be to not forget why you’re playing music. It’s easy to get caught up in hitting transitions and effects right, playing that great playlist you like, dealing with that annoying (but stunningly beautiful) girl that keeps asking you to play the same song after you’ve already played it for her…
Remember: You are there to make sure people have a good time. Make them happy and you will have a good night. Play what they want to dance to! Watch the crowd and play music that will entertain them.
![]()
what i’d suggest mainly is not to have a set playlist. sure, have a list of tracks that you know you’ll want to play or will go down well, but i’ve seen DJ’s turn up with their cds and a piece of paper with their set wrote down on it, even with the times to start mixing in and out etc…
ends up, their set doesnt flow with the mood that the crowd are in.
Gig went off dudes, not a problem at all!
Only thing was cops came =[
damn sorry to hear.
was the party registered?
why did they come? noise?
just because they’re the law doesn’t mean they don’t like to party
LOL…cops coming is the norm here!
If they don’t come…you not doing it right!
![]()
Usually they just ask you to turn it down…which we do…for a bit.
Unless there was debauchery…then they will shut it down and send everyone home!
So…did they stop your party?
We were having a bigass festival in a forest here in Cape Town and due to the party there the weekend before that was NUTS…the cops basically raided this party.
There were guys with dogs and riot gear and what not.
Imagine…a Psytrance party with loads of fruity people wandering around in the dark…all of a sudden COPS…with guns and torches and dogs!
Luckily…we were able to keep them from rushing the place and freaking everyone out.
I was busy jamming when one of the organisers came and asked me to turn it down…due to the situation. I was able to hear what was happening at the gate via the 2 way radio…it was not pretty!
Then…i was asked to turn the music off.
Bunch of cops standing on the dancefloor…giving everyone the eye.
This Female cop shouts at me that if i play one more…beat…JUST FUCKING ONE…I will be arrested!
LOL
Someone in the crowd beatboxed…which kinda irritated her.
Then the guys with the djembe drums started up…and some firedancers going…as the power had been turned off…and the forrest was BLACK!
The cop freaked out again…about fire hazzard etc. We had 28 …yes…28 LARGE fire extinguishers.
The plan was to start the music up again when the sun came up…and as I had not played for about 4 months…i really wanted to finish my set!!!
I stayed in the DJ box…fighting off the other DJ’s…telling em…I AM PLAYING WHEN THE POWER IS ON AGAIN!!!
LOL
OK…sorry for the long story!