If the fx have outs assigned, they should jump to the correct position on startup and loading. As for eq/gain, you can set outputs that only activate in a certain modifier condition, so for example, a modifier could get turned on momentarily when you load a new track, or press play on a new track, briefly activating the modifier, which the outputs respond to and send the updated led info to the APC.
I can’t get the LED rings/knobs working like this.
Dry/Wet Chained IN assigned to CC52
Dry/Wet Chained OUT assigned to CC60
LED rings work correctly.
However, the LED ring and subsequent knob position does NOT update when you first turn on the unit, or when loading new effects.
So I close the Traktor software, and the Dry/Wet knob is at 100% and the LED ring around it shows 100%. Great.
Then I close the Traktor software and shut off the APC40. I then turn the APC40 back on and then open Traktor.
The LED ring is dark. It does not update to reflect the 100% on the Dry/Wet knob on the Traktor gui. If I turn the Dry/Wet knob, it snaps to 0% and the LED ring continues to light volume style as I turn the knob clockwise.
How are you getting your knobs and LED rings to update dynamically?
Yeah, you still need an output assigned to the regular knob CC#. So if CC52 is an in, you need CC52 as an out too. I don’t know how (and if) having the CC+8 thing outputting all the time will affect it. That’s why I just have the CC+8 messages getting sent momentarily, like when I switch banks. If it doesn’t screw anything up to have the CC+8 being sent all the time like you’re doing, don’t sweat it. But you definitely need additional output to the regular knob CC#. That should give you the dynamic updating you are looking for.
I tried using an OUT and IN for the CC52 knob, but now that I think about it, I think I had the OUT on the CC52 set with a Midi Range of 2 to 2, so I guess that explains why the knob wouldn’t move!
I’ll give it a go tonight.
By the way, I think that after I get this thing working the way I want, I am going to make a new post with all this information compiled into it. I think there are more than a few people out there that want to use the APC40 with Traktor, so I think a post like that would be beneficial, and would at least serve as a guide for myself…
I personally bought the APC40 primarily for Traktor because it had tons of buttons and knobs. I figured at some point I would start using Ableton more too, so I figured it would be the best controller to serve double duty. I’m glad it’s turning out that way.
It’s looking real good now. I’ve got this thing lighting up like a Christmas tree now. Most excellent.
Weird about the EQ section being buggy with the outputs - When I try to set the Filters with OUTS, the knobs react unpredictably. Oh well, I just need to make sure to check them all to make sure they are all centered when I first turn on Traktor. I wonder if this bug has been reported to NI?
This controller surface is really great IMO. I am now really glad I bought it over the VCI-100.
I spoke too soon.
I am having major issues with ANY buttons that have a Send Monitor State IN assigned to them. When I press a button with a Send Monitor State IN, the audio distorts and slows down.
For example, I will have a track playing on Deck A, and then as I hit the Hotcue 1 button (which has a Send Monitor State IN assigned to it to get the LED working ‘smartly’) repeatedly and you can hear the sound slow down and warp and distort.
It seems like a read other APC40 users were having this issue also when using the Send Monitor State IN.
Any suggestions?
Interesting. Are you on Windows? I’ve heard about this, but it doesn’t happen on my rig so I don’t know what to say. (I’m on Mac). Maybe it’s time for Bome’s? I’ve heard the rerouting can solve led out/distortion problems on Windows…
Wish I knew more about it.
as the question is pretty much answered (with a few glitches here and there), maybe this should be added to the faq?
Yes, I am on Windows… for the moment.
I have been ready to buy a Macbook Pro since last December. I have been patiently waiting for the ‘new’ line to come out with the I7 processors… Any day now Apple!!
Since this major function of getting the LEDs working on the APC40 is not working on Windows, I guess you know what my next question is…
Can you give me a Bomes example of how I can ‘capture’ the LED off command that the APC40 is sending and then echo back the correct LED state I am expecting to turn it back on?
this how i managed it on my mates apc40
In;
Select/Set+Store Hot Cue
set to hotcue number
Send Monitor State
invert on
Out;
Hot Cue State [x]
Controller range @ -1 for min and max
Deck A and C - midi range at 3 (min) and 4 (max)
Deck B and D - midi range at 5 (min) and 5 (max)
invert and blend off
This made the LEDs flash when no Hot Cue present, and solid when there is, decks A and C are in red, B and D in orange
Also did them vertically, so first 2 columns are A, next 2 are B etc…
Thanks, but I can’t use the ‘Send Monitor State’ IN command, because it freaks out the sound on Windows. It must be a Windows bug. That’s why I a now trying to see how to accomplish it with Bome’s. See a couple of posts up for more details.
Hi there,
I’m the one that worked with bradcee on the apc40 mapping and i am now having the same problem. delete the sends and its fine. as soon as those sends are in… slow down and a pop when u release the hotcue!! Will be happy to work with u on this one mate, really love the apc40 and would love a mac but my penny jars a bit low lol. How are you getting on with bomes?
I will put up a tsi at some time, just working on a diagram to show the mappings.
and with out the sends it turns into a game of ‘lights out’
which i have entitled ‘The F#3 Back Back Back D4 Damager Edition’
I had the demo version of Bomes working pretty well with lighting up the hotcue green when pressing it (and keeping it green).
What I did was create two translators for one hotcue button:
Translator 1:
Incoming from APC40: Note off for the button
Swallow incoming midi message - checked
Outgoing to APC40: Note on for the button, velocity 1 (1 is for green, or 7-127)
Translator 2:
Incoming from APC40: Note off for the same button
Swallow incoming midi message - checked
Outgoing to TRAKTOR: Note OFF for the button (same as the Incoming)
This worked somewhat, and lit up and kept the button green after pressing it, but of course it didn’t work well when you deleted a hotcue, as it stayed green. I am sure you could add some rules to get it to NOT let the green on message through when you delete a hotcue in order to let the hotcue state update, but I gave up after that.
I simply do not want to have to pay 90 bucks for Bomes. That is just too much, especially considering that I will be buying a new Macbook Pro as soon as the new models come out, and the whole ‘Send Monitor State’ IN issue apparently doesn’t exist on Macs.
FWIW, I put in a ticket to NI about the Send Monitor State bug, and also posted on the forums about the bug as well, but of course I have not heard anything back from either channel.
In the meantime, I assigned an Select/Set Hotcue OUT to each button, as well as the Hotcue State OUT to each button. With it this way, when you load a track, the Hotcue State will correctly show a green for any cuepoint, and then all the rest of the unused cue’s will show as red. Then when I actually press the cue button, it will turn all cuepoints on that deck red (or whatever other color you set to Select/Set Hotcue OUT). This is my workaround for the moment. It ain’t pretty, but at least the buttons stay lit.
that’s what smattless and me tried to begin with, then went to send monitor state
yep, think its going to be macbook time lol. Jcribb, do u know if its 100% that this isnt a problem on the macs? i agree about bomes, too much money for what i would use it for.
No, i’m not 100% sure, and I won’t be until I actually have Traktor hooked up on a Mac. But Zac Kyoti earlier in this thread said that he did not have this audio distortion issue on his Macbook, and since he is the one who told us all to use the ‘Send Monitor State’ IN, I can only take what he says as true… ![]()
might not be system related in that way though… had the pops/crackles issue on my laptop when hammering my vci and nanopad too much at the same time.
until i stripped back my os.
how is your laptop setup? do you have a dedicated machine/boot/user for traktor?
Brad-
Are you saying that you do NOT have any sound distortion issues when using the Send Monitor State IN?
Are you on a Mac or PC?
I was trying this on Windows 7, but I will give it a go on my other TinyXP ‘Dj’ partition. My Tiny XP partition is barebones. I doubt it will be any better, as I don’t see any spikes on Windows 7 when using DPC Latency Checker, but i’ll try it out on Tiny XP anyways.
I am using an older computer for the moment, a Dell 700M which is a Pentium M, 2.0Ghz, 2GB ram.
There ARE rumors floating that new Macbooks may come out at the end of this month.
We shall see…